uTorrent Hangs on Exit

TheTooleMan

I subscribe to the ad-free uTorrent for Windows. I'm running version 3.5.4.44498 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. When I exit uTorrent, it hangs and will not close. Clicking on it gives the "not responding" message at the top of the window. The application cannot be closed with Task Manager, even with the "End Process" and "End Process Tree" commands. The only way to kill it is to log out or shut down the PC.

This is a new problem as of yesterday. Not sure what version I was running prior to downloading the latest, which I thought might help.

I have been happily running uTorrent 3.2.1 for eons, never needed anything else, it runs great and does everything I need. Noticing it now hangs in task manager dwindling down to 1 thread and reboot only solution. My uTorrent is broken, tried the newest utorrent...same, qtorrent...same, utorrent pro....same, just hangs.

I ain't no rookie comp user so went to find why my utorrent is broke and how to fix it. I came across lots of others dealing with the hanging issue but no real fix.

I came across this...its not my discovery

Solution: uninstall KB4338818.

Find in your installed windows updates and uninstall it. The uTorrent, qbitotrrent now shut down and disappear like they use too...no hanging.

Only thing is that now a few days later I got a random win7 update and it was the uninstalled KB4338818 update wanting to reinstall so if you have auto updates set, removing the update will work then not work since the update reinstalled itself.

So far this worked

its true it was because of the kb update from windows . in the roll up the last optional update it has a fix for this problem. to think of all the time I spent looking up 

solutions and trying all sorts of things and in the end it was just the latest update. p.s. it was a optional update date which i usually dont bother with. I just wait for the important ones to come out. however this time it was worth it.  good luck

I don't install any of the "optional " updates so the  windows KB4338818 update was guess one can say an "important" update. I have never used auto updates, I get a notification to install and do it on my time usually unchecking-hiding the malicious software tool.

I went into the control panel--windows update--view update history then found the KB4338818 and uninstalled it. The hang issue I'm assuming isn't a utorrent program issue but something a windows update changed that affected the utorrent and/or one of the threads it uses. In my task manager uTorrent dwindled down to 1 thread that I couldn't isolate to find out what it was but many were still uploading/downloading according to NetLimiter so killing all uploads and downloads didn't fix anything....still hang.

I spent several days booting, uninstalling, reinstalling, changing settings and cussing with all sorts of torrent engines but the hang result was the same no matter what engine I used. I was getting to the point thinking I got somesorta virus I couldn't get rid of then ending up having to reinstalling windows7.  I have no idea what that particular update did to my uTorrent but nothing short of happy dance when I saw uTorrent disappear in the task manager.

On 2018-07-25 at 1:13 PM, TheTooleMan said:

Thanks, everyone, KB4338821 did the trick. Should've been easier but what can you do!

Hoping its a typo or is there a second sour windows update.

Its windows7 KB4338818 update that I uninstalled so my utorrent stopped hanging. What is this KB4338821 update and should it be uninstalled also?

edit...just had a look and the KB438821 update is still listed in my optional updates.

I dunno....

So from what I'm assuming and google said that KB4338821 is a supposed fix or improvement of a crappy KB4338818 update. The KB4338818 got installed like all the other win updates. I didn't install the optional KB4338821 so I'm guessing it didn't improve much.

So I'm asking did you only uninstall the KB4338821? or uninstalled both the KB4338821 and KB4338818.

I'm curious cause we uninstalled 2 different updates and came to the same conclusion....success.

I see says the blind man now.....

Since I didn't install the optional 821 update to fix the 818 update, uninstalling the 818 was my route, then hiding both.

I hid the 818 update but not going to try the fix 821..Things work dandy now and not worth the hassles I could create. I never really researched the 2 updates...just that it worked until this thread that I made an account to post the fix I found. Learned a lot bout utorrent, and how it runs the day I noticed my hanging issue. Big perk is now getting 4-6 megs/sec with some tweaking when before 2megs was top speed.

Update to this issue...
As noted above, uninstalling KB4338818 fixed the problem with uTorrent not closing down. However it also broke YouTube in Internet Explorer. Could not play any videos. (Firefox and Opera were still OK). I then restored a Macrium backup which put KB4338818 back on the system. So... back to square one with uTorrent. This update also addresses a number of rather important issues so I was hesitant to leave it uninstalled.

The solution is to install another Windows Update, KB4338821 labelled as 'optional' - Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4338821). I normally do not install these preview things but this worked for me. uTorrent and YouTube are both working fine.

I'm not inviting a bunch of opinions about Microsoft Updates as we all have those. Just posting this as a solution to a problem which others may also be looking for.

On 2018-07-31 at 3:55 PM, jopa66 said:

However it also broke YouTube in Internet Explorer

Hmmm...broke your youtube so what else might be broke uninstalling 818...now the thoughts of what else could be broke burning in the brain.

Went and reinstalled the 818..booted..

utorrent hung like before. Didn't affect the dload speed

Booted to stop utorrent then installed the 821 optional update fix for the 818...

Booted faster and utorrent disappeared again. Still got good dload speed.

In amoungst the researching I came across unchecking "apply rate limit to uTP connections" in bandwith. Before the 818 update hang problem I'd get 1-2 meg/sec dload speed. Researching the task manager hang  led me to do some tweaking too utorrent ended with 4-6 meg/sec.. double before speed. I have a 150/150 line so lots of space, so set my dload limit to 20,000, reading that unlimited DL can hinder the dload speed. I assume but along with the unchecking the rate limit I can now dload at 20meg/sec...just amazing. I had to download a 2gig torrent file to see it go up to 20meg/sec inwhich is the cap, all other movie or TV torrents never got up to full speed before finishing. I will increase the 20,000 cap to see how high I can go but still most 1 gig movies make 15meg/sec, thats less than 5 minutes to finish.

IMO.. my new dload speeds came from the unchecking rate limit cause I had this new utorrent speed before I installed both the 818(that was previously uninstalled) and 821 fix. The update installing was to ease my mind of the "what else could be broke" seed that was planted by jopa's youtube breaking.

• 2 weeks later...

The preview for this months quality rollup released last month (KB4338821) fixed this problem. The update this month brought the issue back. uTorrent and Evernote, and perhaps others, are hanging on exit again. I had to uninstall KB4343900.

2018-08 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4343900)

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, unknownsoldierx said:

The preview for this months quality rollup released last month (KB4338821) fixed this problem. The update this month brought the issue back. uTorrent and Evernote, and perhaps others, are hanging on exit again. I had to uninstall KB4343900.

2018-08 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4343900)

FWIW - Just installed the KB4343900 update and so far all is well. UTorrent closes down as expected. There was also a .NET update as well as some MS Office stuff. All installed with no issue and UTorrent is Okay. I'm using v2.2.1 client. Don't use Evernote.

from Microsoft:
Known issues in this update

Symptom Workaround
There is an issue with Windows and third-party software that is related to a missing file (oem<number>.inf). Because of this issue, after you apply this update, the network interface controller will stop working. 1.To locate the network device, launch devmgmt.msc; it may appear under Other Devices.
2.To automatically rediscover the NIC and install drivers, select Scan for Hardware Changes from the Action menu.

a. Alternatively, install the drivers for the network device by right-clicking the device and selecting Update. Then select Search automatically for updated driver software or Browse my computer for driver software.

In Internet Explorer 11, a blank page may appear for some redirects. Additionally, if you open a site that uses Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) or Single sign-on (SSO), the site may be unresponsive.
Refreshing the address bar URL may allow the page to finally load completely.
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

10 hours ago, jopa66 said:

FWIW - Just installed the KB4343900 update and so far all is well. UTorrent closes down as expected. There was also a .NET update as well as some MS Office stuff. All installed with no issue and UTorrent is Okay. I'm using v2.2.1 client. Don't use Evernote.

I had no problems with the  900 update either. I don't use Evernote but still get updates for my ancient office 2007. I regularly use excel and word but have had no need to update my office eventhough I have the ability to. I thought my 3.2.1 was old utorrent but rafi got me beat with his 2.2.1. I watch and remove unproductive trackers, curious to the peers uploading off of me and rarely see the older utorrent engines in the peer listings. I installed utorrent 3.5(along with many other torrent engines) when I was figuring out the hang issue but with a lot of programs of today, the newest isn't always the greatest and if it ain't broke...leave it alone.

Archived