uTorrent Hangs on Exit

TheTooleMan

I posted a topic in the Troubleshooting forum which I refer to here.

In Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, uTorrent will not close when I try to exit using the File menu or the Close button. Instead, uTorrent hangs and cannot be close from Task Manager or any other means except for rebooting the computer. This occurs in the current version and all the older versions of uTorrent that I have tried.

Someone responded to my post saying they found that Windows Update KB4338818 is the cause of the problem, and uninstalling it lets uTorrent close correctly. However, KB4338818 looks like an important update for Windows and I am concerned about removing it. Also, Windows Update will continue to try to reinstall KB4338818 in subsequent automatic processes.

This should be examined by the uTorrent developers.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The preview for this months quality rollup released last month (KB4338821) fixed this problem. The update this month brought the issue back. uTorrent and Evernote, and perhaps others, are hanging on exit again. I had to uninstall KB4343900.

2018-08 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4343900)

I can't warrant a guess to what happened to your utorrent but I have the KB4343900 that was installed Aug 15th and my utorrent doesn't hang on exit.

Just a shot in the dark that maybe the update KB4338818 might have reinstalled itself causing the hang. Just IMO I would uninstall the KB4338818, KB4338821 and the KB4343900 update then set my windows update to "ask" to install then wait for them to reappear. Install the 818 first..check to see if my utorrent hangs. Boot to stop the hang then install the 821 fix then again see if the utorrent hangs...boot again then install the 900. If it still hangs after installing the 900 then it could be more than the windows updates causing your hang problem.

edit...should add I use uTorrent 3.2.1. Been using it for years and have had no need to upgrade to newest utorrent. Could be maybe a older utorrent engine acts differently than the new utorrent...I dunno.

Mind if I ask OS. Mine is win7 ultimate. I'd blame win10 if thats your OS but I have no idea nothing win10. The win10 upgrade lasted 30 minutes on my wife's laptop ages ago. It took 30 minutes of win10 to have my wife beginning to loose her chit then was reverting it back to win7. Her laptop was touchscreen win8 that I wiped and installed win7...she hated win8 but liked the touchscreen but that was a short lived novelty.

Bit of after thought...

install the 818 then use the 821 to fix then see if it hangs. Then after booting reinstall the 900. I had just uninstalled the 818 and didn't install the "optional" 821 but I had no issues. I thought about it for a while so reinstalled 818 then applied the fix 821. They all could be connected in some microsoft way.

What torrent engine you using...maybe run the dinosaur utorrent 3.2.1 and see if still hangs.

There is tons of leftover turds from windows updates so use a cleaner to find and remove them...could be a sour log file or some other who-knows-what update turd being the cause. I dloaded the IObit Advanced SystemCare not that long ago and thats how I know how much debris the windows updates leave behind and generally a nifty program that(so far) works good for the cleaning. I got it all shut down in services so it doesn't "protect" and just launch it to clean.

Just rolling dice

Archived