TheTooleMan

uTorrent Hangs on Exit

I posted a topic in the Troubleshooting forum which I refer to here.

In Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, uTorrent will not close when I try to exit using the File menu or the Close button. Instead, uTorrent hangs and cannot be close from Task Manager or any other means except for rebooting the computer. This occurs in the current version and all the older versions of uTorrent that I have tried.

Someone responded to my post saying they found that Windows Update KB4338818 is the cause of the problem, and uninstalling it lets uTorrent close correctly. However, KB4338818 looks like an important update for Windows and I am concerned about removing it. Also, Windows Update will continue to try to reinstall KB4338818 in subsequent automatic processes.

This should be examined by the uTorrent developers.

Thanks in advance!

It's not just uTorrent. I've also had Evernote do the same thing. Supposedly KB4338818 is the cause, and installing the preview of next months rollup (KB4338821) fixes it.

The preview for this months quality rollup released last month (KB4338821) fixed this problem. The update this month brought the issue back. uTorrent and Evernote, and perhaps others, are hanging on exit again. I had to uninstall KB4343900.

2018-08 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4343900)