How to DISABLE CD Auto-Run on Win XP/2K?

Switeck

Sorry, this is just a rant...

I looked for how to do what the topic says...and well even GOOGLE drew the short straw on that one. :(

Can someone tell me a simple way to PERMANENTLY disable that "feature"?

Nailing the shift key down isn't safe enough anymore.

...on a similar note, disabling Adobe's new "install Flash v9.0 NOW!" pop-up ad has proven very troublesome too.

Anyone have any clues on how to kill that as well?

I was at first looking for "disable CD auto boot"...but that kept referring to BIOS booting from CD, not Windows XP auto-running a CD. That's mostly what made me mad.

The other reason I got mad was when I tried the old Win 9x/ME way of disabling CD autorun on Win XP...that option was removed!

Microsoft does not want you disabling this!

Btw, the "Windows XP - Solution 1" doesn't prevent game CDs from autorunning when inserted.

Also, I'm not looking to install TweakUI on my computers -- I just want a reg file to disable CD autorun.

I tried the Win 2k/XP reg hack for Win XP...and it doesn't seem to work! :(

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom]

"Autorun"=dword:00000000

Try to put this in a .reg file, execute it and reboot.

This worked great, so much so I think it's worth repeating!

I don't know why Firon's suggestion didn't work. :(

...now does anyone know how to kill the pop-up ad for "install Adobe Flash v9.0 NOW!"?

I can't seem to locate the webserver ip/URL it's coming from...or I'd kill that dead using my HOSTS file. :(

I tried to do it like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom]

"AutoRun"="0"

...which I downloaded as a premade .reg file from a website.

silverfire, I tried using TCPView and my router's logs and it seems the pop-up is originating as PART of the news site I'm on rather than from a remote/separate server that I can block. :(

Actually, I checked the registry value when it didn't work the first time and it was a dword.

About the same time as Firon's post, I got a registry entry from a website which contained what I thought Firon meant. Close, but not close enough!

Windows System Registry: The devil is in the details.

Archived