Does uTorrent remember downloads (even when torrent is deleted)?

pstein

Assume I downloaded a couple of files through uTorrent.

After successful download I saved/copied the files from download directory to other target/backup  folders (e.g. on external hard disks).

Afterwards I removed  files AND torrent from uTorrent.

Weeks later I do not remember exactly if  I already downloaded a certain file.

I want to avoid to search for it on all my backup locations and external hard disks.

So I downloaded the torrent (again ?) and add it to utorrent.

What I would like now is that uTorrent looks up the hash value  in its internal database and tells me something like "already downloaded".

Is this somehow possible?

Peter

On 22. 8. 2018 at 11:26 AM, pstein said:

What I would like now is that uTorrent looks up the hash value  in its internal database and tells me something like "already downloaded".

Hi.
I think the only one solution is to keep the torrent task in uTorrent in Finished status with label Deleted (for the better sorting).
Now you can move the content as you want. Then start this job. The status will be changed to Error. Don't recheck. Keep it red. ;-)
If you will try to add the same torrent after few days / months, uTorrent will say "torrent already in the list".
You will know that you have downloaded it before.
Is it helpful for you?

history.png

On 8/22/2018 at 4:26 AM, pstein said:

Assume I downloaded a couple of files through uTorrent.

After successful download I saved/copied the files from download directory to other target/backup  folders (e.g. on external hard disks).

Afterwards I removed  files AND torrent from uTorrent.

Weeks later I do not remember exactly if  I already downloaded a certain file.

I want to avoid to search for it on all my backup locations and external hard disks.

So I downloaded the torrent (again ?) and add it to utorrent.

Is this somehow possible?

Peter

What your asking is not possible searching a ext HDD is far easier the redownloading wasting space and time. And by removing files and torrent you would download the same file again. utorrent isn't a search type program but a torrent downloader only and what your asking for is what Explorer does and search and rearranges functions. If you had created a Trash folder where completed torrents go you would find it faster what was download and what wasn't.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 9:13 AM, PiusX said:

What your asking is not possible searching a ext HDD is far easier the re-downloading wasting space and time. And by removing files and torrent you would download the same file again. utorrent isn't a search type program but a torrent downloader only and what your asking for is what Explorer does and search and rearranges functions. If you had created a Trash folder where completed torrents go you would find it faster what was download and what wasn't.

Hi PiusX, thank you for the answer

However I do NOT agree that this would be a huge waste of space.

Let say utorrent only stores for each successful download a hash value of 8 bytes (uncompressed) and there would a history of lets say 1000 torrent downloads.
So alltogether this remembering would take only 8000 bytes and few milliseconds for computing the hash values.
Do really think this is a real waste of space and time?

Even if utorrent would store filename, file size and last modified date of a torrent target for dupe detection this would be peanuts.

If this feature doesn't exist it should/could be added in future releases.

Archived