DickB

VPN (especially PrivateVPN) with uTorrent?

Last week I reported an unexplained slowdown (to essentially nil) in torrent downloads.  I later realized that it was associated with running PrivateVPN.  After installing the VPN, I tested it several different ways to see if it hurt download/upload speeds, but the effect wasn't substantial.  So I presumed the same would be true for torrenting.  And the hell of it is, I found PrivateVPN on a site listing VPNs known to work with BitTorrent (although not specifically with the uTorrent client).

All this caused because I kept seeing references to the importance of VPNs, **especially** with BitTorrent.  Is anybody else using a VPN successfully with uTorrent? 

We don't discuss VPN or Proxy on here this isn't the reason for this forum existing. Others will think by discussing VPN that it's a help for VPN but that is beyond the scope of utorrent help here. If you want VPN help contact the VPN provider for more help.

I realize that you Advanced Members must keep out the newbies and other such riffraff, but I wasn't really asking for help with VPN, just whether uTorrent is compatible with a VPN, i.e., is anybody else successfully using it with a VPN?  A simple yes or no was all I was looking for, not tech support.

34 minutes ago, DickB said:

is anybody else successfully using it with a VPN?

Hi there.

Some people have mentioned that the connection is being dropped when using a VPN with uTorrent. Restarting uTorrent *should* temporarily fix things.

Edited by mike20021969

On 9/10/2018 at 6:48 AM, DickB said:

Last week I reported an unexplained slowdown (to essentially nil) in torrent downloads.  I later realized that it was associated with running PrivateVPN.  After installing the VPN, I tested it several different ways to see if it hurt download/upload speeds, but the effect wasn't substantial.  So I presumed the same would be true for torrenting.  And the hell of it is, I found PrivateVPN on a site listing VPNs known to work with BitTorrent (although not specifically with the uTorrent client).

All this caused because I kept seeing references to the importance of VPNs, **especially** with BitTorrent.  Is anybody else using a VPN successfully with uTorrent? 

I noticed you talked about running it with a vpn in other thread. It could be due to the speed choking habit of vpns. 

But I don't blame you, since the recent infectious hacking incidents forced many users a need of using a vpn. uTorrent VPN suggest using a paid one and that too with a kill-switch. So if something goes wrong you immediately kill the connection.

Haven't heard about this VPN so I can't really tell how it actually works.