Magnet makes uTorrent crash

tsjuder

Hello! From yesterday i have a problem with uTorrent.

I usually use magnet links to download and i never had problems. Suddenly when I try to open an magnet link i have a message error form uTorrent:

"uTorrent has crashed. A crash dump has been saved as...."

I have 3.5.5 (build 45146) 32 bit version. I usually use Opera browser but the problem is the same with other browsers.

I have a Windows 7 laptop. 

Did anyone knows something about? Can You help me?

Thank You in advance!

1 hour ago, DreadWingKnight said:

What antivirus?

What firewall?

Avira Free / Windows Firewall.

Ad just to be more clear: when the messagge appears uTorrent doesn't crash actually, it keeps working, just doesn't start the new torrent.

Thank You

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 7:28 AM, tsjuder said:

Hello! From yesterday i have a problem with uTorrent.

I usually use Opera browser but the problem is the same with other browsers.

Here's the problem you identified it already in the reply. It's not a utorrent problem.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:00 PM, PiusX said:

Here's the problem you identified it already in the reply. It's not a utorrent problem.

Do You have any suggestion on what the problem could be?

I use the same laptop, with the same  browser (I tried Opera, Chrome, Firefox and IE) and with the same uTorrent version, but suddenly the magnet links are not working.......

34 minutes ago, mike20021969 said:

As a workaround, right-click>Copy (on a magnet link).

Then press uTorrents Add Torrent from URL button.

In the dialog box, right-click>Paste (or Ctrl+V to Paste).

Maybe that would work in the meantime.

Great job! It's working! 

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem. 

It refused to load a torrent file manually (the RSS ones were working fine) and after restarting uT it would appear in the Hidden Label - I had to restart uT for it to show up in there.

I saved my settings and uninstalled and re-installed and it worked ok, so I re-added my settings files and the problem persisted.

So last night I closed uT and only deleted (after backing up) the settings.dat, settings.dat.old, resume.dat and resume.dat.old files and went through manually changing all the settings that I had before after restarting uT and it still works fine. 

I did have to use this page 

but even though some of the settings were already set to false, they still worked.

I remember noticing that some other old settings in Advanced had the * to indicate they had changed but they did not relate to the adverts. I guess I've been using this software since 2006 and maybe they were some old settings that are redundant? I still have those old settings.dat files so if you want to check them out I can send them to you. :)

Archived