completed torrent requires "check" on reboot

montel

I have been using utorrent for many years without trouble.  A couple years ago, when I rebooted my computer,  utorrent would go into complete checking some of my seeding torrents. And the checking takes far far longer than it took to originally download the files!  It used to be when I would do a reseed, the torrent check would be completed in seconds.  Now it may take maybe 30 minutes -  the same amount of time it takes to "check" a seeding torrent when I reboot the PC.  I don't think the problem is with utorrent.  Something is blocking in my PC.  I'm using Iolo System Technology on a Windows 7 64bit machine.  Iolo says there is nothing found wrong  - lots of free memory etc.   I've tried a search here and found something on reseeding problems but that is referring to file locations which is not this.  Can anyone offer a suggestion to correct my problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, rafi, for the answer - I'd given up on getting one.  When I started having the problem, I went for the latest uTorrent with no help.  I'm currently using 3.5.5

I don't know if just closing uTorrent would be different.  Currently I'm seeding only old torrents which are never a problem and can't try checking.   ASAP I'll load a new one and see what happens.

montel

21 hours ago, rafi said:

Version? Does this happen also when you exit uTorrent (not closing it by Windows shutdown) and just re-start it (or your PC)?

I downloaded a complete new torrent and it was seeding.  Then I used Task Manager to close uTorrent.  When I restarted uTorrent,  the new torrent was still fully up and seeding.  Then I rebooted the PC and when uTorrent restarted,  three old torrents were seeding, but the new torrent was down and performing a recheck .

I'm using Windows 7 64bit service pack one.

10 hours ago, mike20021969 said:

Why would you do that?

µTorrent writes/updates files when it exit's. Abruptly closing with TM it won't allow it to do that.

I don't do that.  i DID do it this time, but  only to emphasis I was certain uTorrent was no long operating.  It would be a waste of time to close a program doing that - so please forget about it. My problem has been AND STILL IS  newly completed torrents in seeding mode have to be rechecked upon a PC reboot.   Old seeding torrents are never a problem 

OK, using Task Manager would prevent uTorrent from doing a save - I didn't think about that.  So I've just done another test because my last test torrent had gone over 300% upload and was removed.  After the new torrent had downloaded and was seeding, I closed utorrent (the usual way) and rebooted the PC.  This time when uTorrent opened,  the new torrent  was fully there.  My trouble therefore has to be a file-save error on closing /shutdown.   Windows always displays programs preventing shutdown and possible lost data.  I HAVE noticed uTorrent in the list sometimes preventing shutdown.  I usually just leave the list alone and Windows eventually clears it.  I'll have to investigate that further..

There is still one other issue:  why does a recheck take so long?  uTorrent  used to complete a check in seconds,  but now 20 - 30 minutes 

Thanks so much for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I Always Always stop all torrents then exit utorrent, then nothing rechecks on startup.....if you  ‘dirty’ exit...e.g. task manager or just shut down the pc then often it will force recheck of all your torrents, just simply stop all torrents first then shutdown anyway you wish

Archived