Best Firewall to use with Utorrent.

shearhell

After a bit of info please, i have just installed Zone Alarm and have noticed that my download seeds have slowed right down. I read somewhere that there are problems with Utorrent and this firewall. What are the best firewalls to use with Utorrent and are the " free " ones any use?

Thanks

J

The best is to use a software firewall behind a hardware firewall or a NAT router.

Software firewall can do things that hardware firewall can't do. But hardware firewall is a must have because they have less chance to fail.

I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 behind a NAT, and i have no problem.

On the inbound side, I'm not sure how much more a software firewall can do beyond a hardware firewall's capabilities. On the outbound side... well you can't rely on the software firewall for outbound protection -- if your computer is compromised, it's relatively trivial to bypass the firewall (rootkits, anyone?).

Everything you guys are saying rests on "if your computer is compromised." The key is to never let this happen. With a hardware firewall, competent antivirus (read: not Norton or McAfee), and [un]common sense, you generally won't get your system compromised.

@Syseval: If you just want to stop unwanted connections to the internet, then the Windows Firewall is more than sufficient. You don't need to bloat your system by running more than that. Extra processes = further divided attention. Even on my brand new overclocked 2.8GHz Opteron, I'm still keeping the process count down at around 28. Running yet another software firewall s a secondary or tertiary backup is pretty excessive and is just a waste of your computer's resources :P

The best is to use a software firewall behind a hardware firewall or a NAT router.

Software firewall can do things that hardware firewall can't do. But hardware firewall is a must have because they have less chance to fail.

I'm using Kerio 2.1.5 behind a NAT, and i have no problem.

I'm exactly with the same setup here, that works perfectly!

You're lucky then, or you just don't need that many. I needed somewhere around 360MB in installers to get my desktop up and running with the same setup as my laptop. HTTPd is a must, Process Explorer always running, SVN cache, loads of other things. At least i can rest assured that I'll be able to run two less processes on my desktop than my laptop because i don't have the touchpad programs to run. :D

Everything you guys are saying rests on "if your computer is compromised." The key is to never let this happen.

Yeah, run a very secure Linux box. (Note: very secure + Linux, not very secure just because it's Linux.) Win XP's got so many backdoors and known flaws that if you're connected to the internet it's almost a question of if rather than when...you get something you don't want.

Heck, nothing like a good audio "CD" from Sony to make your box run like a dog.

Even lots of games use "CD protection" which adds all sorts of intentional and unintential problems.

Adobe is actually a sore spot with me lately due to its crippling effect it's had on a Win XP Pro box here.

If you don't mind spendimg $ 60.00 than Iolo's System Mechanics 6.0 Pro with Kaspesky firewall and Anti-Hacker is everything you'll ever need to have your PC clean and with no problems.My machine is up and running for the third year now 24/7 and I have no problem on my side but sometimes the ISP can cause some problems when they upgrading but this are short terms problems.Kerio,Norton,Symantec,Zone Alarm no one works for me.

@silverfire: Windows Firewall, what's that ? :P

I don't have Windows XP, so no Windows Firewall.

Kerio 2.1.5 is very light on ressource, i used it on a Pentium 75 with no problem.

On a AMD 3800+ dual core, it use near nothing of CPU (and i have more than 35 process).

Also, the Windows Firewall seems very limited if you compare with Kerio. It's best to disable Windows Firewall and use Kerio.

• 2 months later...

Archived