Force μtorrent to recognize file

1v4n0

Sometimes the client fails to recognize a file from a torrent that I already have in my computer. For example I am downloading a torrent whose content I already have, and while checking for the files it doesn't "see" some files, even though they are precisely the same ones it's looking for (and of course in the very same folder and with the very same name and size).

Is there a way to force the client to count those files as complete? Hope I made myself clear.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 7:51 PM, 1v4n0 said:

I am downloading a torrent whose content I already have

Why? Simply add the original .torrent file to µTorrent and set the download location folder to where the content resides on your computer. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm guessing that you don't have the original .torrent file?

On 7/9/2019 at 7:51 PM, 1v4n0 said:

Is there a way to force the client to count those files as complete? Hope I made myself clear.

If you're trying to "put together" what would appear to be the complete torrent (using previous and newly downloaded files), then it's highly likely that file hashes won't be identical (even though name and file size are the same).
This would explain why µTorrent doesn't see them.

I must have not made myself clear. Here's the situation:

On one side I have the original .torrent file.

On the other side I have all the folders and files that the torrent refers to.

I open the torrent file, choose the corresponding location from my computer, and μtorrent checks all the files, and recognizes almost all of them. Some of them, for some reason I don't know, the client doesn't recognize and it treats them as if they weren't there. But they are there, with the same path, name, and size as the ones from the .torrent file.

I'd like to somehow force μtorrent to mark those files as "complete", so the torrent would finally be 100% downloaded. To "tell" μtorrent that those files are there.

4 hours ago, 1v4n0 said:

I'd like to somehow force μtorrent to mark those files as "complete", so the torrent would finally be 100% downloaded. To "tell" μtorrent that those files are there.

You can't force µTorrent to mark them complete.
What I would try is re-downloading the problem files. Add them to the existing downloaded torrent folder (overwriting if necessary). Then re-add that .torrent file to µTorrent again and let it do it check to see if all files are now 100%.
To save any nonsense though, I'd probably just download the whole torrent from scratch.

9 hours ago, 1v4n0 said:

The problem is that no one else has the completed torrent. I am the first seed.

16 hours ago, 1v4n0 said:

I have all the folders and files that the torrent refers to.

In that case, choose Create New Torrent in µTorrent (then share the *.torrent). This is the easiest solution. You seem to have everything needed to create a 100% torrent.
We've established that µTorrent can't verify the original .torrent 100% against the files/folders you have. It seems that somewhere along the way, some of the files' hashes have altered for some reason hence them being skipped during a check.
So again, the easiest option is to create a new torrent and share that instead.

That won't do either, because the torrent is already widely shared. Isn't there a way to, I don't know, re-create the files so that they match the hash from the torrent? I wouldn't even mind those files being corrupted, as long as the torrent is 100% verified. I don't know how to read the code inside the .torrent file, but I notice for each file there is a "path" and a "length".

1 hour ago, 1v4n0 said:

the torrent is already widely shared. Isn't there a way to, I don't know, re-create the files so that they match the hash from the torrent? I wouldn't even mind those files being corrupted, as long as the torrent is 100% verified.

Wait up... It's a widely shared torrent yet no one has all the data except you? It can't be that widely shared then. And it appears you possibly have "corrupted" data also.
Regardless, even if a single files hash has changed it will/can affect the data of adjacent pieces. You cannot recreate missing or corrupted data by editing the torrent as everyone has to have the exact same data for it to be shared correctly.
If the torrent is <2GB in size, pm me a magnet link for it.

The torrent is huge, about 260GB.

I cannot edit the torrent, but is there a way to edit the files then? Maybe recreate some fake files based on the code in the torrent, so that the latter would be finally 100% recognized? They are very small files (and I'd rather have a 100% completed torrent with a few non-working files than a 99.9% completed one).

30 minutes ago, 1v4n0 said:

is there a way to edit the files then? Maybe recreate some fake files based on the code in the torrent, so that the latter would be finally 100% recognized?

What you ask can not be done. You can't fool µ Torrent (or other torrent client for that matter) into thinking a torrent is 100% complete when it is not.

The thing is this torrent is 100% completed, but somewhere along the way something changed in a few files and μtorrent doesn't "see" them. I have no idea what it is that changed though. They certainly weren't edited.

Archived