Version 3.5.5 45339 No spaces in torrent files

Legal Eagle

I like to rename the torrent files to more correctly describe the contents.  For movies I type the correct title, followed by the correct year of release.  I have done this for years with no problem.  In the current release, uTorrent will not accept spaces in the torrent file.  Every space has to contain an underscore.  Please advise.

When you go to download a torrent file, the extension is .torrent.  If you "Save As" instead of "Save" you can name that .torrent file anything you want.  If you keep a record of downloaded .torrent files, which I do, it makes it much easier to track the different files you have downloaded.  As an example a .torrent file might be named "Batman.And.Robin.1997.iNTERNAL.DVDRip.XviD-EXiLE.torrent" but before downloading, you could rename that file to "Batman and Robin (1987).torrent.  I have done this for years very successfully.  With the current version of uTorrent; however, that file cannot no longer be read.  You would have to name it "Batman_and_Robin_(1987).torrent"

No it does not.  Your screenshot is showing the downloaded file itself.  That is not, and never has been, the problem.  I am referring to the .torrent file that gives the directions to uTorrent as to how to download the file.  If you rename the .torrent file before downloading uTorrent no longer accepts spaces between words.  Now uTorrent requires that the .torrent file has no spaces but instead, as depicted in you screen shot, underscores.  3.5.5_45036.exe, in the name box, can be renamed; however, if you were to rename the .torrent file to 3.5.5 45036.torrent, with a space instead of the underscore, then when you started the download 3.5.5 45036.exe would be what showed in the name box.  uTorrent used to allow spaces in the .torrent file.  It no longer does.

My point exactly.  Rename the torrent file to 3.5.5 45341.exe Copy.torrent (no underscores, no dashes, but spaces instead).  The latest version of uTorrent will no longer accept the spaces in the .torrent file.

I just reviewed your screen shot and it is not showing the .torrent file.  It is showing the name assigned to the file by the .torrent file.  The .torrent file itself is measured in kilobytes not megabytes.  When you go to a torrent site and you click on the torrent you want to download you are asked to "Run" or "Save".  If save that file, as I do, to your computer you have the option of "Save" or "Save As".  The .torrent file's name may or may not be indicative of the actual file you are saving.  Here is an example of what a .torrent file may look like "Cary_Grant_(11_unposted_movies)-++Demonoid_www.DNOID.me++.torrent".  The size of that file is 38.7k.  Contained withing that file is all the data needed to download the file itself.  Once downloaded, uTorrent will ask if you wish to "Open" the file at which time the download of the actual file will commence. If you just run the file or save it in that form the name of the showing in uTorrent will be the same name as the .torrent file.  If you choose to "Save As" and rename the .torrent file to "Cary Grant Movies.torrent" then the name showing in the uTorrent window will be Cary Grant Movies.  It can be renamed once it is in the uTorrent window, but it is much easier to "Save As", rename the .torrent file, and then let uTorrent commence the download.  Done that way you can maintain a record of .torrent files showing what exactly you have downloaded in the past.

I guess we are definitely  out of sync. Why is it at all important how to download the torrent file from the internet if you claim uT just cannot load a .torrent file with spaces in it;s name? Take any .torrent on your HD, file, rename it and show it fails. I am showing it does not... :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18yeUShg1XhOoR792tBNo3ivgZIiFzJGK/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zzbWu0nsXuoULJwawZ9jWmjKLNL5LaJl/view?usp=sharing

^ Here , just try with this  torrent....

BTW, I don't think you've even posted/uploaded the error message you see ... Also, at least with Firefix, uTorrent does is not being auto-activated after you save-as the file... Maybe some setting in your browser is special.

We certainly are out of sync.  You keep showing files that are being downloaded.  Before you start uTorrent go to the actual .torrent file.  Rename it with spaces.  Then run that file.  It will open uTorrent.  See if uTorrent can read the modified .torrent file.

Maybe this will help.  A TORRENT file is a file used by BitTorrent, a peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing program, for downloading a file (often from multiple locations at one time). It does not contain the content being distributed, only the metadata, which includes information about the file or group of files to be downloaded, such as their names, sizes, and folder structure.

That is the file I am referring to.  Not the file being downloaded by uTorrent, but the file that tells uTorrent how to handle the download.  All of your screen shots are showing the actual files being downloaded the the instruction file which has a "torrent" extension.

And it has nothing to do with my browser or any other settings.  As I told you, everything worked to way it is supposed to until I installed this latest version of uTorrent.

>We certainly are out of sync.  You keep showing files that are being downloaded.  Before you start uTorrent go to the actual .torrent file.  Rename it with spaces

Sorry to see that my test-clip was  not good enough to demo exactly that.

Unless you post your own clip showing the issue with the new version, and a different behavior with an older release, using the exact test torrent file I've posted as well,  I am done. Good luck working-around your issue!

4 hours ago, rafi said:

and a different behavior with an older release,

I can upload screen shots showing the current uTorrent not accepting the file name, it would take several as it does it in several steps.  If the torrent file is named "Clark Kent (2019).torrent" uTorrent comes up with the message: Unable to load "(2019).torrent: unknown error!  When you press the "OK" button uTorrent comes up with the message:  Unable to load "Kent": unknown error!  When you press the "OK" button again uTorrent comes up with the message:  Unable to load "Clark": unknown error!  When you press the "OK" button the message goes away and nothing has loaded.  If the torrent file is named "Clark_Kent_(2019.torrent" then there is not error and the file would have to be renamed inside uTorrent.  I can provide screen shots if you like; however, I would really like to know how you expect me to show screen shots of a previous version since I have upgraded to a newer version and even if I did they would look just like the ones you have already uploaded, because previously uTorrent worked just fine.  It is not a problem with my settings or a browser.  It is a bug in the new uTorrent version.  I can understand that you are confused and may not fully understand how uTorrent or the "torrent" system works, most people don't, which I why I have tried to explain it to you and provide you with examples and a definition of what a ".torrent" file is.  I do not; however, appreciate the condescending  tone of your last post.  If you don't understand, then fine just say so.  If you don't know the answer, then fine just say so.  If you want to help I would appreciate that.  Your call.

Error Message 1 (2019).jpg

Error Message 2 Kent.jpg

Error Message 3 Clark.jpg

The information you provide - is not enough for any help. Also you are not answering my questions (like if my .torrent file worked for you or not). I suggest Record a clip like I did, since it is obviously something you are doing different, or your file system is broken/not-in-sync with uT.

I did run the .torrent file you suggested and the same error occurs.  What I did notice is that you are not running the same version of uTorrent as I am.  The subject line of this discussion states 3.5.5 45339.  You are running 3.5.5 45341.  Perhaps the error has been fixed in your version.  I was not aware that a newer version was available.  I will try to find it an install.  I will let you know the results.

Greetings my friend,

They are not the same.  The error has been fixed in the newer version.  Everything is back to the way it used to be and should be.  Thank you for you interest in my problem.  I am sorry we seemed to be talking at cross purposes and were obviously getting irritated with each other, especially when we were talking about two different versions of uTorrent.

Archived