Stop automatic update to web version?

don911

Hi,

I'm on 10.13.6 and utorrent 1.8.7. Is there any way to stop the auto-update to the new web version? I can't imagine that this 'upgrade' would go well for me. On their blog they wrote "You’ll be able to download any file type to store locally in the folder of your choice". This scares me. My data files are saved in many different folders on different drives, and it sounds like utorrent Web may now want everything in one folder? This whole thing seems like a disaster waiting to happen for power users.

If I can't stop it, and the auto update happens, if I go back to the desktop version, like they said you could, would everything be back to how it was originally, or will the migration have got rid of things like file paths and statistics etc.

The latest post on their blog (http://blog.utorrent.com) says: "IMPORTANT: Mac Users will be Automatically Upgraded to µTorrent Web for Mac OS Catalina (v10.15)". It seems like they want to automatically upgrade everyone ahead of Catalina. It seems crazy to put people through this who never intend to upgrade to Catalina in the first place. 

If anyone has gone through the automatic upgrade and then downgraded back to the desktop version, please share your experience. Especially I'm interested to learn what happens to files that are spread over many hard rives and directories, as well the torrent labels etc.

Thanks for getting that info. I have not bothered with their blog. That's insane. I don't even know how they can do that. The web app is totally separate.

I hereby offer my $.02 worth of advice and suggest you check out qBittorrent. I've got it purring with 2000+ torrents.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:38 PM, Fuga said:

I hereby offer my $.02 worth of advice and suggest you check out qBittorrent. I've got it purring with 2000+ torrents.

Ok, I'll check it out! Do you know if there is any way to keep the stats when moving to another client? Especially the 'Added On' date is important to me for sorting/culling.

No worries, guys - classic torrent client is not going be updated silently.

Every user will see "Update available...." window. If you decide to update, old client will be deleted and existing torrents automatically transferred to new version (downloaded files will stay at the same locations they were before the update). Original .torrent files will stay in the ~/Library/Application Support/uTorrent and not going to be touched. 

If user declines update, existing version will remain. It supports MacOS up to Mojave. If you are upgrading to Catalina, classic version will not work.

7 hours ago, don911 said:

Ok, I'll check it out! Do you know if there is any way to keep the stats when moving to another client? Especially the 'Added On' date is important to me for sorting/culling.

Sorry. No idea. Never worried about it as the tracker(s) keep stats that matter, though I agree the dates thing would be helpful. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, SergeyQA said:

No worries, guys - classic torrent client is not going be updated silently.

Thanks, that's a relief! September came and went and uTorrent has not auto-updated. I have also not seen an "Update available" window. It still says "Your uTorrent client will auto-update in September" in the ad window. It's October 6 today.

Archived