"unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application"

thunderStorm

I got conflicting messages on what version it was,two different numbers showing in two different places,  but looks like maybe an update took place, which then became inopperative for XP...just would not open no matter how many attempts I would make, by what route..

then re-installation kept failing as well..

it has installed onto my laptop, which has '10...but this old PC is my main station and more convenient to torrent here..

9 hours ago, rafi said:

Last version I know that runs on XP is 45309 .

Let me correct you then - it's 3.5.5.45335 (although it downloads something called BitTorrent Speed which doesn't appear to work with Windows XP - not that I want that feature anyway).
For me, I'm sticking with 3.5.5.45311 (Stable) which doesn't download it.

3 hours ago, rafi said:

Any idea what are the side effects?

Apart from downloading something that's not needed, I don't know. What I do know is that you don't need BitTorrent Speed. TorrentFreak tested it and found it makes no difference to the download speeds.

While the torrent speed would no doubt have gained momentum as more seeds and peers were found, switching the toggle back and forth didn’t seem to make much difference to actual download speeds in the client. Occasionally, pressing the button from off to on did increase the download speed but at times, switching the toggle the other way also had the same effect.

Source: https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-now-includes-tokenized-bittorrent-speed-190709/

Archived