Ratio is too high (1.8) after many downloads

Mikedasnipe

My ratio is way higher then it should be (1.813), since bittorrent is supposed to be tit for tat.

Thats my ratio of unfinished downloads too, im not sure if seeds count, but including them its 4.655.

Why is it so unfair? Is it just leechers i can't disconnect? Or is utorrent hating me?

P.S. If your wondering how i know my ratio, i used the magic of 4th grade math to find an average. Also this is my first post, not sure which forum is correct. Its not technically a speed problem, and im not sure if this should be in general.

Key word you mentioned is 'supposed to be.' With asynchronous connections like cable and DSL, that's not really a feasible reality. A lot of people end up downloading more than they upload, and while most people here have been well-behaved, the a large slice of the faceless millions using BitTorrent hit and run without uploading.

And for the record, you're one of the few that actually use their 4th grade math :P

Thanks - its just the evils of DSL, and people abusing the system.

And about the 4th grade math - trust me - anything that complicated you have to explain on the internet or else people will go stupid on you. "OMFGZORZ! WHERE IS TEH MAGICKAL RATIO BUTTON!" or "Yeah i have that ratio too cuz a download took me 3 hours"

It may be your settings. If set too high, uploads still often run ok...but download speed is often quite low. (Like uploading at 44 KB/sec but only downloading at 5 KB/sec...as would happen on my connection if set too high.)

So if you want us to help troubleshoot that, tell us the settings Speed Guide (CTRL+G) shows.

And your half-open connection limit.

And the linespeed as measured by speedguide while nothing is going on. :)

UPnP and DHT enabled has caused numerous people problems too (almost entirely due to really crappy hardware router or software firewall)...but usually it's all or nothing with them.

It could simply be that your max upload speed is higher than the download speed of your torrents. That happens to me, I often finish torrents with a ratio between 3 and 4. But how do you figure your ratio is "too high?" High ratios are a good thing, it means that you increased the torrent's speed and availability, be proud. Anti-leech. =P

Archived