Ran out of memory - unable to allocate

joshace

Something is causing Utorrent to crash on me several times a day.  I get a message "Windows Ran Out Of Memory - Unable to Allocate" and then Utorrent crashes.

I suspect this has something to do with my SETTINGS.DAT or RESUME.DAT

My resume.dat file is nearly 19megs in size.. which is probably too big.

Just what exactly IS the resume.dat file, and is there a way to reduce it's size?  Is it safe to delete?

I'm using the latest version of Utorrent... but from internet searches, this problem seems to go back to 2012. 

14 hours ago, joshace said:

Just what exactly IS the resume.dat file, and is there a way to reduce it's size?  Is it safe to delete?

resume.dat is essentially a database containing the states & statistics of all torrent files within uTorrent.
If it's 19 MB in size, that suggests you have many hundreds if not thousands of torrents uTorrent has data for.

You are right!

I do have nearly 9000 torrents in there. 

I could remove quite a few of them, but I would prefer not to.  I've got 128GB of RAM.. (not kidding) so I should never be running out of memory.. but I am having crashes every few hours on Utorrent. 

Maybe what I should do is copy the resume.dat file to resume.SAV and then butcher my active resume.dat file. 

Utorrent really should not be crashing though. 

at about 8800 torrents, my resume.dat file was nearly 19mb

I removed a lot of them...and now

at about 1100 torrents my resume.dat file is well under 4mb

I haven't had any crashes since bringing it down to 4mb   UPDATE!!  IT'S STILL CRASHING!  DOH!

HOWEVER..  I would suggest they tweak the program so that it doesn't crap out once someone loads about 8800 torrents

Archived