How do I xfer torrent files to new folder without losing resume status?

Starlit1911

Hi currently all my .torrent files are in the same folder as utorrent.exe. I want to move them to another folder.
So I tried copying all .torrent files to desired folder and then updated utorrent its location in the directories tab in preferences for where they are "stored in". Then I closed utorrent and deleted the duplicates from the utorrent.exe folder, launched utorrent and saw that all loaded torrents have "torrent missing" error and have lost their resume status.

• 2 weeks later...

Once you move it from where it was saved or deleted the torrent file then you have to re-create the torrent to uploaded it again.

Otherwise you need to read this as well: The link isn't working right now not sure but this is where you have to read

http://help.utorrent.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1826055-how-do-i-migrate-torrents-from-another-client-to-this-one-

• 1 month later...

This is a big problem for anyone who keeps data files separate from executables, and I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention. uTorrent should always look for .torrent files in the user-specified folder if it can't find them in the folder specified by resume.dat. Until this is fixed, changing the location of .torrent files should be marked as not recommended in the dialog box. There doesn't seem to be any way to recover from a problem like this once the user has changed the .torrent file location, other than to keep copies of all .torrent files in both folders in case it's necessary to reinstall Windows. (I even tried hex-editing the resume.dat file, changing the folder name and the count byte, but it didn't work; I'm guessing the file itself has a checksum or something to detect corruption.)

On big obstacle to finding information about this problem is that there is no clear nomenclature for talking about the .torrent files versus the torrent data files that are downloaded by uTorrent, and the folders for both. Most searches only return results about the torrent data files, but refer to them as "torrent files."

The link given by PiusX doesn't give any information about changing the location of .torrent files, only about loading multiple torrents, and even that is useless, except to masochists who don't change the folder names specified in the .torrent file because they actually like having torrent data folders with names like "$1972!@whoops_i_forgott_waht_this_was_¯\_(ツ)_/¯_ripped_by_ATTILA_THE _MAGNIFICENT!"

The Link given is the official link to read over if one does anything different that is their own doing. If you change the name of the torrent then you need to remake the torrent to upload it and that isn't something utorrent helps with. Also once they are downloaded moving them will break the action and must be put back as noted doing so mean you need to recreate the torrent.

Archived