Moving resume.dat, etc. to new location

eboris

that ancient version of Utorrent you are using is stable, however, it is terrible at maintaining the database of torrent files.  I remember a few times many years ago where I had to spend several weeks reloading all my torrents. 

Since you are thinking moving anyway...  here is what you should do. 

Install the latest utorrent onto your D: drive  (don't delete the one on C:)

then COPY your Resume.dat file from C: to D:  (don't MOVE it).

Then go to your Utorrent.exe which is on your D: drive and open it.  Once you are happy with that.. delete your utorrent directory on your C: drive.

Thanks for the reply.

The problem for any version would be having it store resume.dat and similar files somewhere other than Users\Owner\Appdata\Roaming\uTorrent.  That location appears to be selected automatically, and I don't see any setting in Preferences that would permit changing to a new location.  And I don't remember anything in the install process that gave me an option to change that location.  So unless the latest version has such an option somewhere, it looks like there's no way to change it.

46 minutes ago, eboris said:

Thanks very much, Mike.  Yes, that works.  So apparently the exe looks for those files first in its own folder, and only goes looking in AppData if it doesn't find them.  Thanks again.

You're welcome.
Actually, uTorrent.exe only looks for settings.dat. If it finds it, all the other necessary files (e.g. dht,dat, resume.dat) would then be created in the same folder (if they weren't there already that is).

Archived