How to let uTorrent detect downloads which are already finished in past?

pstein

Assume I add a new torrent to uTorrent which run successfully for several months.

What I want to achieve is that in case that this torrent resp. the underlying file was already downloaded in the past I want to get a warning popup:

"Torrent already downloaded"

or similar.

How can I get this?

Is the presence of all the torrent files in "completed torrents" folder necessary?

I want to avoid this.

The torrent file names could change for the same download file. So the core information to decide whether a file was already downloaded must be the hash of the download file rather than the torrent file name.

Where (in which (config) file) are all the hashes of the previously downloaded files stored?

Peter

Screenshot of the error helps here to see what is happening. The only way for it to detect the same file torrent is if your downloading the same file torrent if something changes in the torrent then it will be a new torrent. The program just downloads torrents it's up to the user to know what they downloaded or look at the folder or files created to find what was downloaded. If you didn't customize folder for each download or torrent setup then everything will all in one folder with No way to locate or find what files or folders are what. So if you didn't do this then - there is nothing anyone can do to help as this was something the user should've done when first setup to separate torrents.

Example folder creation for utorrent if you didn't do this then finding torrents will be next to impossible to filter

1. Trash - for completed torrent and torrents when completed to move to so they don't remain in Torrents folder.

2. Completed - for finished torrent

3. Download - for torrent downloaded and downloading from

4. Torrents - for torrent files storage

• 4 weeks later...

@PiusX:

Yes, I already configured  utorrent folders like you suggested but this does NOT help for AUTO-detection.

I am really surprised that auto-detection of duplicate downloads by utorrent should not be possible.

The easiest way to implement this would be to keep hash values of all previously downloaded packages.

Hash values are unique. When the user starts 3 weeks later the same torrent download then utorrent could at first in advance check the new hash value with the set of old hash values and popup a warning "torrent already downloaded" (or similar). So this should be possible in general.

Is this non-auto-detection utorrent-specific or does it apply to ALL torrent clients?

Thank you

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think they will implement that as that would make it more system resource intensive for users of large torrent files. Just imagine it laboring to search your drives to find those files before downloading assuming they didn't move or change name. How would it locate them then. I think for free or paid as it is there are trade-offs here.

Archived