can't get an open port

Otobe

I am having trouble getting an open port. Ihave been using uTorrent for months without any problems but just to day i started having port problems. Using the uTorrent port checker i can't get an open port. I had a WRT54GL router. I set up a static IP and port forwarding and turned off all firewalls but still no luck so i removed the router and connected directly to the modem. It still tells me that my ports aren't open. Is this a problem with my ISP, or is there something i can do on my end? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

And now i reconnected my router, don't have a static IP, but somehow it's working.... i'm really confused, but other than that I think i'm ok now.

I know that i should, but it wasn't working before when i did. Now it is working and I don't know what fixed it, so i'm not about to screw with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Though I am still curious at to why it wasn't working before when I did have the static IP and why it said that the port wasn't open when i wasn't even using the router

If your ip isn't static, it can change...though normally it doesn't. So every once in awhile, it changes and you have all kinds of trouble. Then maybe just 1 reboot later, it's back to "normal".

Port forwarding EXPECTS a static ip, and if the ip changes...you're firewalled.

that's what i have done in the past, just changed the port forwarding whenever my IP changed, which isn't often since i don't restart my computer often. But now it's been doing stranger things. Right now the port checker says that my port is open and accepting connections but uTorrent is giving me a yellow light. Earlier today i had a green light in uTorrent but the port checker said that my port wasn't open and i didn't change anything between those two times except maybe turning uTorrent off for a while. Any ideas about what could be going on?

Archived