Getting the Most Out of Each Seed

mikebyu

I have a fiber optic connection that is currently giving me around 10mb up and down. Which if I do the math gives me around 800kBps up and down right? The great thing about my connection is that I can connect to more peers, which should in most cases calculate to greater speeds. This however would not seem to be the case. I have tested several torrents now and it would seem that I am getting anywhere between .03 to 1.0 kBps from each seed or peer I am connected to, this being on average.

If I download a torrent with 80 seeds I get around 20 to 30 kBps, if I download a torrent with thousands of seeds and connect to around 300 of them, then I start seeing the 700 kBps speeds I like. I am wondering if I can get more out of each seed? Instead of getting 1 kBps or less per a peer can I squeeze more out of them? Thanks in advanced for any suggestions.

K, just wanted to say that I tried out the Slacker torrent the utorrents guide says to try. This torrent can apparently max out your dl speed and give you an idea how things are running. I reached speed of 800 kBps with only 62 seeds that I was connected to. So this goes to show that it is possible for me to get higher speeds than 1kBps out of each seed.

However not all torrents are set up this sweetly, is there any advanced setting or tweeks to increase the flow from each seed?

Also if you think you are having speed problems at any level I would HIGHLY recommend trying the slacker torrent in the utorrent guide section. Since torrents are chaotic things, this torrent will help you determine if is your pc, routor or just the torrent you are trying to get that is causing your problem.

Archived