Stop upload when not downloading?

MadBison

Hello

I have set up uTorrent 1.6 so that it only downloads and uplads during the 12am to 7am timeslot. But I have noticed that uTorrent keeps uploading outside of this time. Is there any way to stop this from happening? When it uploads during the day, it takes up most of my upload bandwidth, and I cannot do any browsing myself.

In order to stop this happening, I find that I have to delete the completed torrents before I have uploaded enough to not be a leacher. At this stage, I do not know what else to do.

Is there any way I can turn off the upload on completed torrents outside of the allotted usage time in the uTorrent scheduler?

Thanks

David

It may just be DHT -- DHT will run anytime µTorrent is running and using both download AND upload bandwidth...though typically only 0.1-1 KB/sec each on average.

You must set Scheduler up to disable DHT while not downloading OR uploading.

Either that, or you must disable DHT completely.

I do not understand why you have to delete the completed torrents if you haven't uploaded enough. Can't you just keep uploading them -- or upload something else? You can STOP them without DELETING them. (And if you're out of hard drive space, burn them to CD-R/DVD+R or something. :P)

Thanks for the posts.

Switeck, I changed it to disable DHT when turning off, in the uTorrent scheduler. I will see if this does the trick. Are there any side effects to doing this?

Firon, the reason I had to delete them was that there was no way I could figure to stop the upload from happening. I had disabled upload/download by using the scheduler. I am pretty sure my ISP is shaping the traffic when I am using torrent, so if this upload traffic was happening during the day, it made internet access impossible. I could either delete the downloaded torrent file, or turn off uTorrent. Turning off uTorrent would mean that I would forget to turn it back on again.

I really prefer to leave torrents up until I have at least a 1 to 1 download/upload ratio. Sometimes, this is impossible, when there are a huge number of people in the swarm. But I usually leave up a lot of the documentary stuff that is harder to find, and only has 1 seed.. Well I did with the last torrent client...

I just thought, I can block this traffic at my router using a schedule. I will look at that if this continues. That way I can leave the downloaded stuff up untill a 1:1 ratio.

Thanks

David

Ahhh, is that it. I did use Force Start for 2 or 3 files that I just wanted to get down a bit quicker. I did not realise that it would continue uploading forever, and outside the schedule when it had finished. I usually only do force start when I know I will not be around for a wile, and there is not much left on the file.

Thanks

Archived