Is this normal?

pile0nades

This morning I opened a torrent that was already about 74% done. It sailed along at about 30kB/s until about 94%, when the down and up speed dropped to 0, with only occaisional bumps to 3-4kB/s. Me and 4 of the 5 peers shown in the list have ~94% of the file, and one has 100%. The availability is 1.957, but its a relatively old torrent.

wtfisthiszd8.th.jpg

Why does this happen?

There is only 1 SEED that has anything that you or the other peers need. So ALL the peers are fighting to download from that 1 seed. You've somehow managed to download 1 MB from that seed already, so all is not lost!

That seed may be running many other torrents, so what little upload speed it's offering is probably split horribly thin. For example: 10 KB/sec upload split between 4 torrents with 5 upload slots each means each peer downloading from it only gets 0.5 KB/sec on average. But what if it's running 10 torrents instead of 4, and only uploading at 3 KB/sec total speed?

My advice - start another torrent while you wait and lower the priority on the current one to LOW.

Archived