Error! Port 58677 does not appear to be open.

naveenkharb

Dear All,

I'm having a problem after installing utorrent. This is the first time i'm using utorrent and am not able to download anything. For a [specifics removed], it shows the status for ETA as 12 days.

when i go to the preferences and try to check "test if port is forwarded properly" it gives me an error -"Error! Port 58677 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (208.99.198.134) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5). "

I'm using Windows XP home edition and wireless network.

KINDLY help me out.

Regards,

Naveen Kharb

EDIT by silverfire: Please read the forum content rules before posting.

I've had ports that appear to be forwarded, look like they forwarded, ARE forwarded show up as not open in that test. My solution has been to assign a different port in Options/Preferences/Connection, make sure it's in the forwarded range, restart uTorrent and retest. That works every time (at least in my case).

-Pink

Hi Pink,

I will change the port but how to make sure that it is in the forwarding range? How can i know the range of ports that can be forwarded? I'm not able to enjoy Torrent as it is not downloading at a very small rate after i made the changes mentioned in the document referred by Ultima in the previous post. Is it that Torrent downloads at a slow speed ( e.g. 6.4 kB/s as in my case ) or it gives you a good speed ? I'll be hihly obliged if you guys can hepl me out in resolving the issue.

Thanks,

Naveen

There is no range to know, just a range to set. Some routers don't support adding port ranges, so all you can (and need to) do is forward one port, and use that port in µTorrent. There is no guarantee on speeds for torrents, so some torrents might be fast while others are slow. If you can't forward your ports, you have a much higher chance of being slow on torrents.

Let me give you the information that i didn't give you earlier -

Router - Belkin

Firmware Version v2.00.002

NAT Enabled

OS- Windows XP Home Edition

Now kindly let me know how to forward the port and how to resolve the issue . If i'm missing any information, kindly let me know, i'll try and provide it to you.

Thanks,

Naveen

oh good, this thread is pretty new. I'm having the same problem...when i run the test it says the port i am using (33819) does not appear to be open. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 hooked up with a cable (not wireless). I followed the instructions with port forwarding but i still get very low speeds, I just recently updated my internet to rogers express and everything is super fast except bittorrent downloads. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

Archived