"This program is freeware" won't go away

FriendlyGuy

@Flow: So people aren't allowed to give input as to what's happening? You said for the others who aren't experiencing this, it might be because we don't use the Speed Guide. Well, as a person who doesn't experience this, I'm trying to point out that your theory is NOT the case. Or are you saying your theory must be taken as fact?

I can't seem to reproduce this particular little problem,so whatever caused it,I simply don't know.

As for the rest,it's not my life mission to report bugs.

I'm simply a guy who suddenly got this little problem and just want to know if there is a simple way to get rid of it.

as for being done with this,it was meant for this little bug and the input that isn't helping me.

As for non constructive,I stand correct , too many times ppl have little problems and get such responses as "I don't have that,must be you' , while the point of reporting such errors or problems is simply to get rid of them and maybe helping out the programmer to even improve his product more.

I'm not over running this forum with all kinds of crap or stories.

@ Ultima : You draw the wrong conclusions.I am not offending you,but ofcourse you could take it like that.

Sorry for that.

In any case,I have the right to be done with anything,I'm not saying you can't bring any more input,or any other person.So don't make it like that.

You see,I simply read the words and find them non constructive,however,you are a real life person sitting behind your keyboard.

@µtorrent-Guest :

you brought nothing in to this thread but your remarks about me .Or maybe you forgot to login in your haste to reply to me?

"Flow what do you want to hear then?

That it is a bug when in fact the majority does NOT experience this behaviour?"

I'm simply sharing my personal experience,maybe it helps others that suffer the same.

"btw. I changed the CTRL+G settings more then once too and never ever saw the popup message a second time so it's not THAT what causes it and Ultima is right!"

Erm? We established that conclusion some posts earlier ,about only a few ppl suffering from this.

Anyway,we have little in common so lets leave it with that.

I'm long enough in the computer business to know many things are unexplainable,and what some users experience is often never noticed by the many.It's part of the windows operating system I would say.

But I will think twice before reporting any other issue I encounter in this forum,so let there be peace.

"edit' in case you all haven't noticed,I always try to write in the first person,and speak only for my self.So accusing me of speaking for all,is offending me.

I think my problem is fixed, as it hasnt come up in days. My fix, was a LOT of windows updates. Being a remote box, it doesnt get that much attention paid to it, and so I was missing all the updates since after SP2. Probably about 40 updates, and so I cant narrow it down much more than that.

ah yes, so "something" is changing om my 'puter, and therefore it's ok for utorrent to pop up that annoying message again.

that explains it all. i can safely say that something is changing on everyone's pc all the time...unless you never start it up. it's called windows and the additional software installed on it.

whatever. why not tell us what criteria utorrent uses to decide whether it needs to show that message?

i agree with friendlyguy and flow and i'll just let this rest as well, cos it's really not much help with replies like 'blame your computer".

Wait, so you think I can pinpoint what exactly on your computer is changing, when I'm not the one using your computer? Am I supposed to be psychic? If it weren't obvious enough already, we've been trying to figure out if there's been anything changing with the certain part(s) of your hardware profile, as that's how µTorrent detects. So far FriendlyGuy's already disclaimed that his network adapter gets enabled/disabled periodically by devcon, and that clearly points the direction we're headed at, and probably explains why he's having his problems. Or did you conveniently miss his post?

You think we're not of help? Well we can't help you if you can't help us by telling us what exactly is changing on your computer. FriendlyGuy didn't think the periodic enabling/disabling of his network card would be an issue, but the clues point to that as the reason. How about considering the possibility that something's changing on your computer that you're not taking into account?

Let us not get carried away please,we all mean well :).

I was playing with my bluetooth this afternoon and ran in some slowdowns and disconnects etc.The ethernet port got reset and my internet behaved a bit wacky also,so I closed down all internet activity.

So far so good, after finishing my bluetooth session I fire up UTorrent again and am greeted with the welcome message.

Only once though.

So it could be possible the resetting of lan-connections is the cause of this.

But I can't say for sure though,I can only mention the hardware and software differences,and tasks I was running prior to this event.

We are all brainstorming here,lets not make it in to something else I would say.:)

ps. I forgot 1 month of updates ( maybe more ) from windows,this had to do with some little problem in one of the security fixes not so long ago,last week this was all done on my pc,so for me it's not what caused it.

Yeah it does appear that disconnecting/reconnecting of internet connections is the commonality between your, FriendlyGuy's, and Titus' problem...

And sorry, I know I can become impatient rather quickly, but the fact that people keep pointing out that I said "something" as bad/unhelpful because it's not specific enough is just ridiculous, as the point in my posting that was to say that whatever's changing in one's computer, known or unknown, is causing the problem, not to say I had *the* answer.

FYI, since my last post, I've closed µTorrent, disabled my network card, enabled it, started µTorrent and there was no message displayed. I've done this twice, using both devcon and the Network Connections window. On the other hand, the message did pop up when µTorrent was started when the network card hadn't been disabled.

I received no reply from ludde, which is what I expected. I will pin it on all the workload I imagine he must have.

Kudos to those who think they've really found the cause of the problem. I've also thought it was because of the speeed throttling before, and it turned out to be untrue. The one thing we seem to have in common is the same bittorrent client.

• 4 weeks later...

well, decided to let things calm down a bit for a few weeks and see if a solution has been found...i guess not.

as a reply to ultima's 'psychic message': instead of you asking me to tell you what is changing on my pc(s) and/or laptop(s), why not tell me what exactly utorrent uses as criteria(s) for showing that message? seems to me much simpler, cos a lot changes on my 'puters all the time (i'm a software engineer). surely a hardware change should not trigger the message? if the idea is to pop the message when utorrent is installed/started the 1st time, why not use something like a hashkey made out of a mac address, windows version, chipset, and computername for instance?

if you then decide to change your mac address, upgrade to vista (blueeerggh), which you will need a new cpu for, so change that as well :rolleyes:, and since you're on a roll change the compname, well then after all that i think clicking ok once more when utorrent warns you about a scam is not really that annoying :)

I don't quite remember saying I knew what the criteria were, and distinctly remember saying that we were "trying to figure out" what was changing.

"surely a hardware change should not trigger the message"? Well I guess everyone else who's been experiencing the problems above did not have their network cards enabled/disabled around the same times. Clearly hardware changes have caused the problem, more specifically, network card stuff (as proven by several people above already). All the evidence is there to support what we've said so far, and yet you *somehow* missed it all (unsurprising, as you everything before your last response to me as well).

I guess my posts just get ignored by Titus (save a few, select words), so I'm not going to bother responding to him anymore until he actually starts reading what's been posted previously. Amazing how I have to repeat myself just to get that message through. Well, guess what? I'm not going to repeat myself again. Whatever I have to say to you, Titus, I've said above already. You're asking me about something that I SPECIFICALLY RESPONDED TO before.

• 3 years later...

Archived