Having proxy errors with 1.6 (such as bad protocol version)?

Firon

There's been a few reports of people not being able to use their proxies with µTorrent, while it works on other clients.

However, ludde needs to actually be able to USE these proxies to figure out what's wrong, so if you're having an error like bad protocol version and you want it to be fixed, you'd have to let ludde get access to the proxy.

If you're interested, please e-mail ludde@utorrent.com

there's something wrong with the proxy support..

a friend of mine tested it and it didnt work.. he said he uses HTTP 1.1 or something like that in bitcomet, but neither of the methods in uT work completely.. with HTTP or HTTPS (i'm not sure) he said he can connect to the tracker and get the peer list, but can't connect to the actual peers.. so that he has to change the method to SOCKS after he connects to the tracker so that he can connect to the peers.. if he uses SOCKS only, he cant connect to the tracker at all.. something like that..

• 2 months later...

I am using the network at my university through my laptop.

I have started to use utorrent but i cant start to downoad anything. I keep getting an error message saying "proxy error" and it says I have been actively refused from the link! As I am using the university network I use a personal password etc. I just wanted to find out what I have to configure in the connections so that I can get through the server?

Jonny.......

it says there is no proxy. direct access. i don't even know what that means. i thought i had it but now i keep getting "tracker status: Working, Tracker Updating: 60 mins". Ive put the correct password and username in and im sure ive got the port and server address. However when i test to see if port is forwarding properly it says it's not! I'm at a loss.

• 4 months later...
There's been a few reports of people not being able to use their proxies with µTorrent, while it works on other clients.

See the thread "SOCKS5 is broken"

Its basically because UTorrent is reading a correct response from the proxy server but parsing the response incorrectly.. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didnt see this issue mentioned in any of the Version Changes history, but I can confirm that the Protocol Error bug now appears to be fixed as of 1.7.1703 - This version works great with the SOCKS5 implementation offered by FreeProxy 3.92+

Thanks for looking at it!

For those interested in the cause (and probable solution) - when a SOCKS server is confirming that a username/password is OK, it sends back a 1 as the version number of the protocol. uTorrent was expecting this to be a 5, and bombing out because of the difference. 1 is correct as per spec, and probably, uTorrent was changed to expect a 1 (or ignore it, because it isnt important anyway)

Suffice to say, this bug only appeared with compliant SOCKS5 servers needing a username and password. If your SOCKS server was version 4 (or 5 but no password needed) then you wouldnt have hit this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived