Download Error...Torrents won't open

RandomHero

When I click on a hyperlink to open a torrent and dl it, I get a dl error telling me to change the association in my preferences. But in my preferences the "associate with .torrent files" is greyed so I can't click it. I uninstalled Azerues so there is no other bittorrent client. Any suggestions?

It shoudn't be greyed-out...that's odd. :?

Anyway: Double-click "My Computer" ▶ go to "Tools" in the top navigation menu ▶ "Folder Options" ▶ "File Types" ▶ search for "Torrent" extension ▶ click "Change" and from there change the preferences to your favorite BitTorrent program, µTorrent. You may have to restart for the change to come into effect. :)

:? Then I'm out of suggestions too...that is just too weird. Azureus must still be claiming that extension one way or another. Have you tried going manually into your Registry and deleting all Azureus references? Or, perhaps CCleaner can help. Go to "Issues" ▶ "Scan for Issues". That should fix whatever is left behind. :)

Hmm...did you reboot your PC? 'Cause that's my last resort as I'm out of ideas. :( Anybody else care to give a hand? :?:

P.S. Maybe you need to re-download µTorrent and try executing it again. The option to associate .torrent files with µTorrent is not supposed to be greyed-out. It's as simple as that. IMHO that is the core problem here. Something definitely got b0rked in the Registry... :(

Yep, tried it all...no luck. The box is still greyed out. The check association on startup box is checked automatically. This is the only torrent program I have on my comp at this point. Thanks for your help, I really don't want to go back to Azureus b/c it eats so much of my resources but it looks like I may have to.

Yeah, I uninstalled Azereus and then deleted all the leftover files with no avail. I am using Firefox and some websites the dialog box pops up to save or open the torrent and it has utorrent as the open w/ association but the "ok" box is greyed out so I have no idea what's wrong. I can save the .torrent files and then file>open torrent and dl them that way, but I'm just gonna go back to Azereus b/c its easier at this point.

Are u saying that when using ur browser, clicking on the like gives the error?

If so, this sounds like the clear temp internet files problem another member had.

Clear ur Temperory Internet Files cache. Since u use Firefox, It may not apply to U. But give it a try.

• 4 months later...

Archived