uTorrent drastically slows my computer

toekneebullard

OK, I have a 3GHz Dual Core Pentium 4, 2 Gigs of RAM, Win XP MCE.

When using uTorrent, my computer nearly freezes. I'm talking the mouse moving across the screen at like, 1 frame every 4 or 5 seconds. The difference is night and day, as soon as I pause the running torrent, the computer is fine again. but once I start it back up, bam, system slows to a screeching hault.

I'm writing the files onto a USB2.0 External drive, could that have an effect? Any help?

Thanks,

Tony

The settings you're using can drastically affect how poorly/well your computer runs with µTorrent active.

Please tell us more about your settings, such as all the Speed Guide (CTRL+G) ones.

Also, are you firewalled/behind a router, using UPnP and/or DHT, and what are your half-open connection limits?

We may be able to spot a "slowdown" joker.

They all seem wacky to me. :P

...or tacky, and I'm not just saying that to be a bad pun.

With 8 max active torrents with 4 upload slots each, that means your upload is getting split into potentially 32 different parts. 20 KB/sec divided by 32...makes dial-up seems positively fast.

My upload is limited to about 40-42 KB/sec max -- and while downloading I can still upload at 30 KB/sec without slowdowns. I usually seed at 40-42 KB/sec, because the "lag" it causes me while surfing the net is usually quite minor. But I only alow fewer than 100 connections total and seldom run more than 3 torrents at a time. You get most of your download speed from the first 10-20 connections per torrent -- the extra ones usually are waiting for you to upload to them before they'll give you anything. So why waste bandwidth for little to no extra download speed?

OK, as far as software I'm running McAffee VirusScan, and I've got the port forwarded. Um, other than that I don't think there's anything else.

Mind you, I'm not a uTorrent pro or anything. I set those settings a long time ago, and I guess they made sense at the time (well, if 5 connections are good, then 1000 would be great...right?) perhaps I was over zealous. I don't know the ins and outs of it all. Just enough to be dangerous you know?

Archived