PinguJohn

We respect your privacy! screen appears on starting utorrent

Hi chip33/Shadey/PinguJohn,

Just until this bug is fixed, try changing the security permissions on utorrentie.exe. Go to the security tab and edit the permissions for SYSTEM. Change all the permissions from Allow to Deny. Leave the permissions for your own user accounts alone, you only need to change the SYSTEM user. This stopped the pop-up on bootup for me on uTorrent 3.5.5 build 45672. Once the bug is fixed, you can change the security permissions for SYSTEM back to Allow again to comply with the relevant legislation as per SergeyQA.

Capture.JPG

Edited by DrStrange
  • Like 2

Hi Dr Strange,

looking good,  did what you suggested and it survived first reboot on 3.5.5_45648 without showing the message and updated itself to 3.5.5_45672.

I edited the new (3.5.5_45672) utorrentie.exe and  rebooted again and no popup . Great job on the fix , very neat solution.

I've also tried setting the SYSTEM security settings for utorrentie.exe back to normal and blocking utorrentie.exe in the windows firewall and that has also survived a few program restarts and a reboot so far.

Great job in tracking it down.

Maybe best solution is not to have it (utorrentie.exe)  at all in the first place...  ;)

Edited by rafi
  • Like 1

Hi rafi, true , but utorrentie.exe is just recreated by the program everytime you run utorrent.

Blocking utorrentie.exe in the windows firewall has fixed it for me after Dr Strange worked out that was where the bug was.

On 6/12/2020 at 12:55 AM, chip33 said:

Blocking utorrentie.exe in the windows firewall has fixed it for me after Dr Strange worked out that was where the bug was.

How do you block a *process* by name in Windows firewall?

>but utorrentie.exe is just recreated by the program everytime you run utorrent.

I am aware of how to block exe files, but this will have to be done again and again , and I thought your idea was to block a process and  was to avoid that repetition. Maybe I misread... Will this block that  exe in placed another location too?

Edited by rafi

Hi rafi, yes, its true, , all these solutions are just temporary fixes as when a new version comes out it will have to be blocked or have its security settings changed again. Hopefully devs have seen it as a bug report and will fix it in an update

25 minutes ago, chip33 said:

Hi rafi, yes, its true, , all these solutions are just temporary fixes as when a new version comes out it will have to be blocked or have its security settings changed again.

Here is another option, which may  not require re-setting  - adjust the update folder security setting for "users" (or add only your username)  to NOT include "full control, read & execute, modify".

Edited by rafi

Yes, but the system writes the new updated exes in that folder so changing the access could block updates...

Would be good if a dev posted here to say they are aware of the issue and putting in a fix.

Edited by chip33

>Yes, but the system writes the new updated exes in that folder so changing the access could block updates...

Not if you leave the write permission enabled...

• Like 1

I am trying to reproduce that bug with no success here. Would you guys mind to help me with some info please?

1. In which country you are? (privacy window appears for certain countries only)

2. Does window appears on computer restart or just program restart?

3. When you close "privacy" window, which option you are using? ([x] button, agree, etc...)

4. On which version of the utorrent you are?

5. Did you modify any settings, if yes, which settings are changed?

Thank you in advance .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rafi said:

>Yes, but the system writes the new updated exes in that folder so changing the access could block updates...

Not if you leave the write permission enabled...

Hey Rafi, ah okay , I will try that out. Thanks.

Hi Sergey,

Great to hear from you.

1. In which country you are? (privacy window appears for certain countries only) > UK

It always appears on restart after pc reboot and reappears sometimes if uTorrent is closed for a while and then restarted without a reboot.

3. When you close "privacy" window, which option you are using? ([x] button, agree, etc...)

I have tried every combination of buttons including Menu>Help>Update Privacy 

It seems to accept the change for a while as you can sometimes restart and not get the Privacy Popup but then somehow gets reset.

I tried to fix it on every version of uTorrent I had in my updates folder from .45672  until I got to 3.5.5_45449 which is the last one I had that doesn't have this bug , looks like it came in between  3.5.5_45449 and 3.5.5_45505.I 

Just all the settings to disable ads. I did that ages ago and have had no problems until these recent versions.

I'm using Windows Defender on Win 10 x64 as Administrator and running May Feature update with all the latest MS updates.

I even did a  Revo uninstall and registry clean up and then clean install of uTorrent latest versions without the ads removed using basic settings and it still happened.

Blocking utorrentie.exe in Windows Firewall and the security permission changes discussed above fix this.

Hope this helps , thanks for getting involved, what are your ideas on why this is happening and how utorrentie.exe security settings and web access are involved?

Chris

uTorrent_version_history.png

Edited by chip33
Update
  • Like 1

Hi rafi, 

I checked and with utorrentie.exe blocked in the firewall I can leave my security settings as standard so I guess that is working pretty well as I think the firewall settings remain when the file is updated... 

1. In which country you are? (privacy window appears for certain countries only)
Finland. I use a VPN from time to time and could have possibly been connected to one when updated and launched this version of utorrent for the first time, if that makes a difference.

Every program restart

Any way I close it, doesn't matter.

3.5.5 (45660), in portable mode.
45449 worked fine and this issue was introduced to me with 45660.

Ages ago when I installed the program, a whole bunch of them sure.

Edited by Shadey

On 5/21/2020 at 12:40 PM, PinguJohn said:

I think I have solved the problem of the "We respect your privacy!" screen appearing every time I start utorrent.

This so far has worked for me, but I cannot take any responsibility if it does not work for you.

Click "Help" and then select "Update Privacy Consent" from the drop down menu.

Select "Disagree" for all categories and then click "Save".

Close and restart uTorrent for the changes to take effect.

Also if you want to remove sponsored Ads from uTorrent.

Again, I cannot take any responsibility if this does not work for you.

Click "Options" and then select "Preferences" from the drop down menu.

Select "Advanced” from the list on the left side of the Preferences window.

Change the "Value" of the following entries from "True" to "False":-

bt.enable_pulse
     gui.show_notorrents_node
     gui.show_plus_upsell
     offers.content_offer_autoexec
     offers.left_rail_offer_enabled
     offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled

Click "OK" to save your changes.

Return to the Advanced Options screen and type "offer" into the "Filter" box.

Now, change all of those currently set to "True" to "False"

Entries I found that were set to "True" were:-

offers.cookie.customized_ads
     offers.featured_content_rss_randomize

Click "OK" to save your changes.

Click "File" and then "Exit" to close uTorrent.

Restart uTorrent to make sure the changes have taken effect.

Best of luck

You are the best, everything you listed worked for me. Thank you for making my uTorrent experience much better.

Also, a moderator chimed in claiming that agreeing to the privacy statement will stop it popping up. I have agreed to the popup between 20-30 times and it still popped up, it was then when I decided to google a fix. 

PinguJohn's fix seems to work fine, and as a bonus removed all ads from the program.

Employ this Pingu person.

Hi , did this ever get fixed, I just swapped my default torrent provider for a while at least.. all this stuff about the amount of info they want us to agree or disagree to was pretty daunting and the fact that utorrentie.exe is calling the server all the time for an unknown reason wasnt great.

No dev wanted to  be open about or explain what was going on within the code to cause this.  it all seemed a bit dodgy as I worked on open source stuff where this would have been fixed simply and urgently as it is a very bad user experience

Edited by chip33
bit more info

I gave up using utorrent for now as when you look into it there is so much info gathering going on by utorrentie.exe calling home and how it is all tied up with agreeing to the recent Privacy/Use your data changes.

No dev ever explained what was happening and I guess they are happy collecting data if it may cause some errors for users who have disabled ads etc.

Maybe I am wrong but the lack of transparency or user accountabilty  was enough for me.