SOlved. New computer. How do I get utorrent to seed?

Purley14

My  computer is  so ancient and slow that I should buy a new one.  I really only use it for downloading torrents. 

If I buy a brand new computer, am I going to have to go through all those pages and pages of utorrent settings in order for my torrents to seed? 

I did it years ago and I am now a lot older and I honestly don't know if I can do it again. 

I can’t help because mine have never done that.  I did get some help from someone once and he said that so long as they say seeding that’s fine. I downloading bike races like the Tour de France and I have a big seeding bonus so it must be working. It’s just that the darn computer is so slow to do anything and I have an issue with my monitor whic is also ancient. Evrry so often the screen size changes so it’s like the desktop is too big.  The only solution is to turn it off by pressing the power button because the start button is not visible!!  As it’s an intermittent problem, nobody can find the issue. I’d like to get a new monitor and computer but if it messes up my seeding then I will just put up with the old setup. I have had windows 10 installed on it so the operating system is new! 

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2020 at 4:23 AM, Marshallow5 said:

I'm a newbie here. I don't know much about utorrent. But I would like to get some more details about this one. 

There is option on the top, right side, to select "Follow", replying to various topics when you have nothing to add for an answer is unnecessary waste of space and people will think someone has already helped another user if they only look at the reply count numbers instead of written content.

On 9/4/2020 at 4:51 PM, joshace said:

Often, my files get set to "FINISHED" instead of to "SEEDING" I have to highlight the files I wish to seed, and click on "FORCE START".  I don't know why some files automatically seed and don't seed.  It seems random. 

uTorrent should seed automatically, latest stable 3.5.5 does it for me when it finds it is good or necessary to do so. It will slow down network if there is too many active connections and maybe uTorrent will not be able to do automatic seeding of old unpopular torrents where there currently is no seeders available.

On 9/1/2020 at 5:28 AM, Purley14 said:

If I buy a brand new computer, am I going to have to go through all those pages and pages of utorrent settings in order for my torrents to seed? 

On 9/4/2020 at 5:19 PM, Purley14 said:

I’d like to get a new computer, but if it messes up my seeding then I will just put up with the old setup.

Default settings are just fine and your torrents should be seeding automatically, no clue why someone needs to modify multiple pages of default settings.
Only default setting you should modify is this:
You can open: Options > Preferences > Protocol Encryption > Outgoing: Disabled <<< change it to "Enabled", then you can connect to more peers, because some might have selected "Forced" and are unable to connect to peers who use uTorrent, because for unknown reasons, the default setting for uTorrent is still "Disabled".

If downloaded files are marked with red "missing files" or you have selected "Pause" or "Stop" then uTorrent wont be able to automatically seed them. Right click on the uTorrent icon on your taskbar, on the right side, next to the clock and select "Resume all torrents", then all paused and stopped torrents should continue downloading and seeding.

You can copy entire uTorrent's program folder and keep all downloaded files in same directory locations on the new computer, then do not need to manually search and add missing torrent transfers to newer computers uTorrent,

Default location where all settings, resume data and .tor files are located are visible if you open File Explorer and copy paste this into the address: %APPDATA%\uTorrent\ < it is good if you exit uTorrent before trying to copy everything in that folder, only folder that is unnessecary to keep is the Updates folder, where old setup .exe files of uTorrent are stored.

1 hour ago, Purley14 said:

Thank you whoever explained this. I’m not sure who it was! 

You are welcome. If need screenshots or video version of my written text advise then reply to this topic.

If need help deciding which newer computer is better or if have any other computer related issues then send me a private message instead, then I will recieve notification to email.

To be honest I don’t think I need to copy old torrents from an old computer to a new one. I mostly watch things once!  I watch bike stage races like the Tour de France and once it’s over and I know who won I tend not to watch them again. The same with UK shows.  So from what you say I shouldn’t have to change anything.  Likely things have changed and are more user friendly than when I started using utorrent many years ago. 

15 hours ago, Purley14 said:

To be honest I don’t think I need to copy old torrents from an old computer to a new one. I mostly watch things once! ... So from what you say I shouldn’t have to change anything. Likely things have changed and are more user friendly than when I started using utorrent many years ago. 

Then the title of the post should be changed into: "Solved: Should I change default uTorrent 3.5.5 settings?" or "How to download video files faster?" instead of current title "How do I get uTorrent to seed?", because if you are not planning to seed downloaded files and do not have issues with it, then the title is misleading.

Just use latest uTorrent and change the default connection encryption support to Enabled, faster downloads if uTorrent is able to connect to peers who have encryption forced and using latest version also gives you latest bugfixes.

I do not know what version you are running or what hidden settings you have modified, but the interface and advanced settings haven't changed much for several years. If you keep copy of older uTorrent folder then you can always compare visual and settings differences of older and newer uTorrent.

There is webbrowser extension available, that has much simpler interface, good if not interested in advanced settings and wish to immediately start streaming (watching) video files before entire download has completed. In early years uTorrent classic desktop client didn't have ads and had support for partially downloaded video files video streaming function for free users.

• 2 months later...

Archived