utorrent killing HTTP traffic

Sabator

Greetings :D

I have a WRT54GL running v23 DD-WRT firmware. Whenever utorrent is running, http traffic drops to ludicrous speeds (sometimes never loading at all and requiring 1 or 2 refreshes) even if utorrent is only downloading at 2-3kb/s. I use Firefox, by the way. I've tried prioritising HTTP traffic in the router settings with no luck. It seems to only effect things like HTTP and FTP traffic, I can play games with no lag while torrenting at slow speeds. However, one thing that seems strange is that although web pages download incredibly slowly, I can download files from websites at normal speed. Has anyone else encountered this problem? and if so, how did you fix it?

If it's across the network, then you're either saturating the upload, or using too many connections. Use a setting lower than recommended in the Speed Guide for the former. For the latter, disable DHT and/or lower the global maximum number of connections.

You can get SG TCP Optimizer from http://www.speedguide.net/ ...and it can tweak a bunch of little-known internet settings like MTU.

Be careful with it though! The default settings tries to allow it to make MANY connections to websites at once under the advanced settings tab! I had to set mine back to 2 MaxConnectionsPerServer and 2 MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server -- or it was making too many half-open connections at once!

I have the same problem but different setting,so i thought i would post here because it's relevant to the title of the thread.

My ISP put D-Link router in my building, and i aslo have a router in my house, when using utorrent, i have the same problem as Sabator, what are the things i should check and what should i do to fix this ? I asked on the utorrent IRC channel and some one told me to limit my upload speed, i did that, but it didn't work. My connection is 128k.

Archived