internet disconnects after awhile

feanor24

Ive been using utorrent for awhile now ive never had any prolems with it but lately every time i get a good flow going through my internet connection just drops then i go reset my modem and i get another good conection then all of the sudden it drops.

this only happens when utorrent is active or running. also i am directly connected to my dsl modem.

so if any could help me out that would be great thx.

Seems obvious that µTorrent is overloading it in some way.

So, have you run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and have it check your speeds and set µTorrent's settings based on your UPLOAD speed?

Do you have UPnP and/or DHT enabled?

Also what are your half-open connection limit?

Those can all cause big problems for certain brands of networking hardware and software.

I had the same symptoms, it would cut out anywhere from 3 minutes to a couple of hours. I ended up removing Peer Guardian, my connection has now been running for just over 5 days without a problem.

Try different configs with your software.

i'm having the same problem. i'm running no software whatsoever outside of utorrent, my computer is hooked up directly to my modem. (well, not usually, but for the sake of troubleshooting atm) my download/upload speed according to the speed test is:

d/l: 4250 kbps or 531.3 KB/sec

u/l: 364 kbps or 45.2 KB/sec

currently i have utorrent configured to the xx/256k

my upload limit is 22 kb/s

upload slots 3

connection/torrent 70

global connections 130

max active torrents 2

max active downloads 1

i've used multiple ports and this happens with all torrents, at random speeds and download times. the only way i've found to fix the interupted internet is to disable my network card and re-enable it in device manager. once again this isn't a firewall setting. please help me out and let me know if you need to tell you all anything else. thanks!

bopbopmeewow, your settings look sensible -- they're even probably low for what your connection should be capable of.

Is there anything else on your computer that is trying to connect to the internet while µTorrent is running?

That's the only possible conflict I see.

You could also check out µTorrent's upload and download graphs to see if your settings are actually getting used.

Quite a few people have reported they got much improved results after blowing away µTorrent's settings folder and reinstalling. Seems some of the v1.5 settings files aren't quite v1.6-compatible or they just get corrupted over time, maybe due to bad shutdowns...such as power outages.

I am having similar trouble. uTorrent seems to hijack my network connection. No other applications are able to successfully connect to anything (firefox, explorer, messengers, outlook, etc.) after uTorrent has been runing for few minute. Stranger still, the problem persists even after I quit uTorrent. I can reset my network connection, but the only thing that will allow things to function properly again is a full reboot.

Any suggestions?

"but the only thing that will allow things to function properly again is a full reboot."

first make sure you have choosen the correct value in CTRL+G and if that does not help then

buy better networkhardware that is not so crappy that it can not handle the high amount of connectioninformation BT is producing.

I'm having a similar issue with disconnects, having utorrent enabled using speedguide 512 settings. The router basically restarts the wireless connection, causing disconnects to all computers connected. I disabled DHT and Upnp settings, but the connection is still reset. I am attempting now to lower the speed using speedguide, and for the last 5 minutes, it's been fine. I have my own thread for this problem, but it may be getting overlooked.

Even having more than 100 connections total on some routers...is too much!

underscore, my guess is something is DREADFULLY WRONG with your connection...µTorrent just trips the final conditions to go to worst-case-scenario. Putting µTorrent in minimal mode (slower upload/download, fewer connections, no DHT/UPnP, etc) is helpful for ruling it out.

So in my curiosity I installed Vista Beta 2 last weekend, and have since ran 4 torrents all night with no problems using utorrent on Vista - but when I log back in to XP and try it, it does the same crap it's been doing... go figure! No clue what to do in XP to fix it as I've almost mirrored my settings from XP on Vista, but eh - guess I'll just keep Vista open all night to keep trying it out. Thanks for your guys help anyways!

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problems, but the complete opposite way round. I've been using 1.6 and all previous versions in XP for an absolute age, without any probs. I recently installed Vista RC1 and get the same issues with the net locking up - but it has nothing to do with the router, it appears to be something to do with the network connection in vista. Nothing gets out onto the network from the machine, the network icon reporting Limited Availability.

However, I can go to any other machine on my network and use it properly, even firing up utorrent and blasting that at top speed for as long as I want, while the Vista machine is still dead. The only way to get access restored on the Vista machine is to reboot. The thing I have noticed is that I get a steady, uniform flash on the router for the port that my machine is connected to - swapping ports at this point makes no difference.

I used to have a linksys router that died like a bitch when the number of connections was too high, but it's as if it's the network card that's doing it.

It's worth adding that nothing else in the slightest has changed between the XP install and the Vista one, but I've had to resort to using an XP machine elsewhere on my network for my downloading. :'(

• 11 months later...

please read the faq on utorrent...it will tell you what you need to know...please check on the compatability of your modem/router. the firewall (windows firewall?) will ask to allow incoming/outgoing connections. port forwarding can also help (google it). from what i can tell is that you will also need to find out if your isp is 'blocking' the ports that you need. in any case set global max connections to 200 and maximum connections to peer to 100. this is the (tried and true) one setting that will allow torrents thru.(i believe this is the minimum setting). also type 10.1.1.1 in address bar and find if you have NAT enabled. if this is the case make the setting to off. i have had this problem and after a few head slams decided to see if this was the prob and it was. ....in a nutshell...dont stop trying. you can do it.

* another afterthought....check to see if your modem is the problem as well as certain modems have issues with the prog. i use d-link 302g and it has issues so i sorted it out and ....viola'....sorted. works. i do hope this helps. if not.....use usdownloader if you dont wanna buy r/s,m/u,m/s or what-have-you d/l sites/fileshare. keep it real

Archived