Reset Bans question

z9999

I recently received an update for uTorrent, and shortly afterward discovered the Reset Bans feature. I like this feature, but it appears that it doesn't clear the previous hash fails and therefore allows only one hash fail before a ban occurs again. Well, that isn't my question. What I noticed when using the reset bans is the IP 192.168.1.1 port 65535 often shows as being reset. That happens to be the IP of my router, and I have no idea why port 65535 is associated as it is not the port I have opened for uTorrent. I also notice that just clicking on a torrent and then using the reset bans, with no hash fails having occurred sometimes results in showing a couple of lines indicating 192.168.1.1:65535 has been unbanned.

Is there something I should do with my router settings? I have not made any use of port forwarding and am unsure if that is necessary. I only run torrents on one computer and seldom bring up the second computer on the internet except for a little browsing which the only reason I use the router. And if it helps, the router I'm using is a Linksys WRT54GS-V4 and I have not seen any difference in my access with or without using the router. I ran for over a month without using it and get exactly the same results now with it connected so I have been assuming it is set up properly.

I posted earlier about IP 0.0.0.0 being banned but that only happens rarely while the router IP seems to happen frequently and more often after a single hash fail occurs.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

• 1 year later...

Hey.

It sounds like you have a router/modem that connects to the wall before running to your computer or router? To make it correctly function only as a modem you have to bridge the modem. That should fix the directly from modem to your computer problem.

To have multiple computers and forward ports: (Also for using BitTorrents)

You need to assign each computer on your network a static IP, in your case both of them. (Assuming you use Windows) Go into Network Places and view and your network connections. Select your internet connection and open the properties. Select Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and open it's properties.

--Make your computer's IP adress: 192.168.x.y (x is the number in your IP's adress: 192.168.x.1, which is probably 1 and sometimes 2. And y is a number chosen by you that must be unique to each computer and most likely between 1-100, and sometimes 100-200, don't choose a low number, its easiest to just start at 10 or 110.) This information can easily be found when you log into the router.

--Subnet Mask: 255:255:255:0

--Default Gateway: Your router's address.

As for your DNS server addresses: Contact your ISP and ask them which DNS servers to use.

TO check any of the numbers in here to be sure: Start>Run>cmd. Type "ipconfig"

Hope that helps. (Edit: Even though this is 2 months later.)

(www.portforward.com)

Archived