If you're using a router and running uTorrent 1600

z9999

I just noticed this, and am wondering if anyone else has encountered the same.

I had several very productive peers banned for hash fails, and using the Advanced tab, Reset Bans feature I reactivated them. When doing so I noticed that my router IP 192.168.1.1 was also unbanned and indicated port 65535 associated with it. The Logger tab had no entry stating that the router IP had been banned previously. As I had several torrents running I tried the Reset Bans on each running torrent and found that they all returned a message stating that the router IP:65535 had been unbanned. Thinking that hash fails had something to do with this I began to watch each running torrent closely and occasionally attempted the Reset Bans feature and was surprised to see that the router IP was being banned frequently and had nothing to do with hash fails as none were occurring at all. I then noticed that after clearing the bans my DL speed also was increasing from 3-8 kBps to around 16-22 kBps, but gradually began to decrease back to the lower range. Each time that occurred I would find one or more torrents had banned the router IP again and using the Reset Bans the speed would increase again. For over 2 hours I continued this process and was able to keep my DL speed higher than I had ever seen previously, and for the last half hour the speed has remained high and even reached 37-40 kBps a few times, a speed I have never seen before.

I am curious if any others using a router has encountered this. I might also add that I had been running without a router until a few weeks ago and DL speeds were slow then also, but the Reset Bans feature didn't exist then.

If anyone else can reproduce this I would appreciate a reply post here just to let me know I am not the only to experience this, of nothing else. My router is a Linksys WRT54GS-V4, although I have no idea if that has any relation to the situation. My DL speed is remaining above 16 kBps currently and just now checking, the router IP has not been banned yet.

Could you be a little more explanatory? And for being harmless, why does it appear that my DL speed is affected by this? Also, I notice that it occurs for no apparent reason as it was happening when no hash fails at all had occurred, and when they did begin to occur later the router IP was not being banned. For the time being they appear to have ceased and none have occurred for over 15 hours, but hash fails have increased resulting in the banning of genuine peer/seed IP's.

Another question is why is port 65535 shown to be associated with the router IP each time it is banned?

I'm sorry for so many questions, but these problems take time away from my research and therefore have become a minor but increasing curiosity generating many questions which are the ultimate source of knowledge. Shouldn't we all be seeking Truth? Knowledge is meant to be shared.

When running torrents, you invariably end up connecting to yourself. When that happens, it learns that you = you and bans yourself. When you reset the bans, that ban gets reset.

Difference in download speed regarding (un)banning yourself or whatever is pure coincidence. Port 65535 is used as an undefined port (meaning the client doesn't know the remote port).

And since it's apparently banning OTHER clients at the same time because of hash fails, unbanning them will naturally increase your download speed, at least 'till they get banned again for hash fails.

Archived