How to Re-check Torrents Faster on utorrent?

Let's assume I have downloaded a torrent by another client and now removed that torrent from queue in that client and now want to continue downloading with utorrent. Suppose the total file size is about 200GB. This takes like forever to check in utorrent. I have 32GB RAM and in another client that I had used had a feature to assign more RAM upon rechecking or checking existing files of a torrent. I set this to 10GB on that client as I had RAM to spare and the torrent did check quite faster than before. How do I do this on utorrent? If anyone know, please help. :huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notmebug said:

Setting diskio.quick_hash to true in the advanced settings may help. Apparently it toggles some unspecified advanced optimization for the hash checking process.

Can I specify how much RAM this would use? If it uses all of my RAM while checking then that would be a problem.

Ram and Storage space are two different things here. Anytime you remove a torrent file from one place to another you start over it doesn't continue unless it was in the same location from where it started. What other torrent software are you referring to? No two software does the same thing and trying to compare different software doesn't help since no two software programming is the same for torrent software. If you move torrent you must move all the torrent files related to that file from the torrent file to the downloaded files and then properly point to them when restarting it. Otherwise if this can't be done you will restart the torrent from the beginning again.

• 3 months later...
On 12/5/2020 at 1:02 AM, PiusX said:

Anytime you remove a torrent file from one place to another you start over it doesn't continue unless it was in the same location from where it started.

Yeah I know that much.

What other torrent software are you referring to?

Qbittorrent. It had an option called "outstanding memory when checking torrents", here I could specify the amount of RAM it would use to check torrent that is resumed from another client while specifying the same directory as from the previous client.

Btw, sorry for replying so late, I kinda forgot about this post.

The other software will not recognize the torrent unless it was download with the same torrent program.  There is no torrent migration from one software to another that I know of that will continue from another different software because they most likely have different settings. 

The other software will not recognize the torrent unless it was download with the same torrent program.  There is no torrent migration from one software to another that I know of that will continue from another different software because they most likely have different settings.

I don't think you got my question from the post. What I wanted to know if any similar option is available in utorrent. Suppose I downloaded a file in qbittorrent and completed that about 30% and then deleted that torrent from qbittorrent but not the actual file. The file still remains and I opened that same torrent in utorrent and specified the same directory. Now utorrent will do a file check of existing content because of the hash similarity. I am talking about this checking. In qbittorrent, there is a specific settings to fasten this check and it is called "outstanding memory when checking torrents". You can assign your preferred RAM amount to be used to increase the speed of checking existing files for resuming from 30%. Also, qbittorrent applies ".!qB" extension to incomplete torrents and you can turn that off from the settings as well. uTorrent creates a utorrentpart file of some sort. So if I want to resume a torrent downloaded with utorrent, I gotta delete that "part" file that prevents any other apps to resume that torrent. Although there is no app to migrate from utorrent to qbittorrent automatically, there is an app to migrate from utorrent to qbittorrent, same goes from deluge too as I have used these 3 apps so far. As for different settings, yeah, that much is a hassle. For example, with utorrent, to find the settings that tweaks the amount of RAM you can assign to be used when checking torrents is not as obvious as it is in qbittorrent.

Edited by MrBlackhole
word correction

No two software are the same setup. What your asking doesn't and will not happen. It has to be opened from the same software to resume assuming all the settings were the same. So if you want more help you should go to a qbittorent site forum and ask for more help on using their software.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2020 at 4:08 PM, notmebug said:

The absolute maximum amount of memory a 32-bit program like uTorrent can use is 4 GB, if it's running under x64 Windows and its executable is flagged as Large Address Aware. With 32 GB on your computer it doesn't seem like you'll have any trouble here. ;)

How do you set it to Large Address Aware ?

7 hours ago, DeathStalker said:

How do you set it to Large Address Aware ?

You are using my flagged version (@ my sig) ...

On 3/18/2021 at 5:43 PM, MrBlackhole said:

What I wanted to know if any similar option is available in utorrent.

No, since it is NOT using any large RAM for re-check (I guess it is a bit slower...). It calculate hash one piece at a time, about ~10 checks/sec, which you can see in speed-graph->disc stat->hashing.

Edited by rafi
  • Like 1

Yes, forum members registered to the the beta announce thread. There should be no "install" involved, if you just replace your previous version.

It's recommended to exclude it in Windows defended and your A/V software.

Edited by rafi
  • Like 1

I am having a similar issue with uTorrent. It is awfully slow at checking torrents when re-adding. I get read speeds of 30-60MB/s with uTor but qBit gives expected 120-140MB/s on internal SATA HDD. 

No other program is using the drive. AV & security disabled. Even with it enabled qBit checks files much quicker at the above speeds. 

How can I speed it up? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 10:24 PM, PiusX said:

No two software are the same setup. What your asking doesn't and will not happen. It has to be opened from the same software to resume assuming all the settings were the same. So if you want more help you should go to a qbittorent site forum and ask for more help on using their software.

I guess you never tried it yourself. I have switched from clients to clients very frequently based on needs, and I can gurantee you this much is that, a file from one torrent client if deleted can always be resumed from its last position in another client. Suppose you downloaded a file of 20 gigs and only 10 gigs was completed and you deleted the torrent file but not the original content. Then that file can resume downloading even if you open the torrent file in a different client. I have migrated from utorrent to bittorrent to deluge to qbittorrent in the past and based on my experience this absolutely works. However the time to recheck torrent will always vary from client to client.

On 4/27/2021 at 1:31 PM, rafi said:

No, since it is NOT using any large RAM for re-check (I guess it is a bit slower...). It calculate hash one piece at a time, about ~10 checks/sec, which you can see in speed-graph->disc stat->hashing.

hmm true I guess. I did do the steps "notemebug" suggested, it did not speed up the recheck in any way. Wish utorrent had the system qbittorrent has when rechecking torrents. Using RAM to recheck torrent is a brilliant feature to be honest. People who have more RAM can make full use of it.

Edited by MrBlackhole
correction

• 1 month later...

I know the last anwser here is from about 2 monts ago but let me see if you guys can help me out.

I use qBittorrent to download torrents that i want and when they are complete i share via uTorrent. Why? My choice and to keep my BTTs for those torrents that i realy want to download faster.

The flow today is: add the file to qBittorrent and start downloading. Add the same torrent file in uTorrent but without starting the download, pointing to the same folder where qBit is downloading.
In this case, every time I start the download on the file that was already added in uTorrent it performs the hash check.

It works fine, however if I download a 250GB file and then download another 5 files of 4 or 10GB I always have to wait for the big file to be checked and then start checking the others and then share them.

Is there any way to perform hash checking of multiple files at the same time? The idea here was to always download larger files on a specific HD and the other files (usually smaller) on other HDs, then dividing the IO when performing the verification.

The PC in question is dedicated just for that, so having IO on several different disks is not a problem.

That's okay with the issue that sharing corrupted files is horrible for the community and also the fact that uTorrent hasn't downloaded this file yet and so it has to perform the scan. The question is not to skip the verification, but whether it is possible via advanced settings to make uTorrent able to perform such verification faster.

And no, I'm not talking about RAID or putting files on an ultra-fast SSD, but getting the most out of the program with what I already have.

• 5 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, blue light blocking glasse said:

Hi, After a bad shut down, and after restating Utorrent, pending downloads are "Checked". That is, under the status bar, before downloading resumes, Utorrent does some kind of 'checking'. It is slow, tedious and a 4Gig file can take 15 minutes AND, it only does one file at a time!

And is pretty much always limited by the speed of the storage device, so even if multiple files were attempted at the same time, they would slow each other down

If the [real] file checksum  is being saved (or will be saved) why not just compare the actual to the saved and assume it is OK, and all pieces are in place ? For incomplete files, you can do the recheck after download is completed too. One other w/a - can be use the resume.dat.old.

The logic can be improved IMHO, My fail safe is to just do an extra backup copy of resume.dat before each session, and use it in case of trouble...

Edited by rafi

On 7/24/2021 at 6:31 AM, Ti0D0Pa0 said:

I know the last anwser here is from about 2 monts ago but let me see if you guys can help me out.

I use qBittorrent to download torrents that i want and when they are complete i share via uTorrent. Why? My choice and to keep my BTTs for those torrents that i realy want to download faster.

The flow today is: add the file to qBittorrent and start downloading. Add the same torrent file in uTorrent but without starting the download, pointing to the same folder where qBit is downloading.
In this case, every time I start the download on the file that was already added in uTorrent it performs the hash check.

It works fine, however if I download a 250GB file and then download another 5 files of 4 or 10GB I always have to wait for the big file to be checked and then start checking the others and then share them.

Is there any way to perform hash checking of multiple files at the same time? The idea here was to always download larger files on a specific HD and the other files (usually smaller) on other HDs, then dividing the IO when performing the verification.

The PC in question is dedicated just for that, so having IO on several different disks is not a problem.

That's okay with the issue that sharing corrupted files is horrible for the community and also the fact that uTorrent hasn't downloaded this file yet and so it has to perform the scan. The question is not to skip the verification, but whether it is possible via advanced settings to make uTorrent able to perform such verification faster.

And no, I'm not talking about RAID or putting files on an ultra-fast SSD, but getting the most out of the program with what I already have.

as far as I know, every torrent client has a list priority system and it will always recheck any torrent that is either #1 or at top of the list, (can't remember which one though). Thus probably that 250GB one was at the top of the client's list and then move on to the rest even if you download anything new while that job is in progress. As for checking multiple torrents at the same time, you gotta ask the devs about it if a setting exists that you can tweak to get it done.

• 5 months later...

On 8/23/2021 at 4:52 PM, DreadWingKnight said:

And is pretty much always limited by the speed of the storage device,

Incorrect, the issues mentioned in this thread are regressions in uTorrent and do not occur in 2.2.1, till who knows when 3.x (i can't even remember)

uTorrent has a flaw in that read-aheads are broken to some degree, this causes the disk queue length to exceed 1.0 on a disk that is otherwise 0.0 when not re-checking, this is worse for large torrents with tiny piece sizes than it is for large torrents with larger piece sizes, but regardless, current utorrent versions are 1/2 - 2/3 slower than older utorrent clients to check large piece size contiguous torrents.

Same file, no defragging in between

unknown.png

unknown.png

Edited by Squall-Leonhart