Wireless conection constantly resetting

ryboto

So, recently, after some advice from a fellow in the speed problems section, I used the speed guide for my settings. I'm on a wireless network, using a dlink 4300 router, i've disabled DHT stuff, and UPnP mapping, i'm port forwarding. The network is shared among a few different computers. Ever since I had speedguide set up utorrent, my wireless connection will drop if even one torrent is connected. Utorrent is the only program that causes this to happen. I make many voip calls, and use many online games, etc. I'm using the most recent version of utorrent, is there anything I can do to keep my connection from resetting?

Hm... Try disabling UPnP? D-Links have a horrible implementation of it, and it might cause problems.

As a sidenote, I use VOIP, and am able to do so simultaneously with 2 concurrently running µTorrent instances (on two different comptuers), on a crappy router, so it's unlikely that µTorrent is the sole cause of the problem -- it might just be aggrevating a weakness somewhere (probably your router, like I'm suspecting).

i have it disabled in utorrent.

Merged double post(s):

so, i guess utorrent causes the router to close all connections. A roomate said that his connection is resetting ever since the other day when I made the change. So, is there something in utorrent, or in the router I should change?

EDIT by silverfire: The edit function exists for a reason. Please do not double post.

Edit by ryboto: I did not know this forum was so stingy on posting etiquette, i'll behave from now on, i promise. And, I read the faq, and followed a suggestion that's supposed to help other routers, and set the global connections to 200, but, the connection just barely reset again, so, no dice.

I had exactly the same problem and was ready to buy a new wireless card/router, but found the solution elsewhere (however, I've lost the link). When XP SP2 is installed another protocal is added to your network, "Odyssey Network Services". This is used to manage wireless connections in XP, but if you use the software that came with your wireless card you don't need it. Remove the Odyssey Network Services protocol from your network connection (Network Connections > Local Network > Properties > and uncheck Odyssey Network Services). That cleared up all my repeated disconnect problems.

Edit: I should add that everyting worked fine for awhile with uTorrent, then the disconnect problems began out of the blue; that's why I thought it was hardware related at first.

Archived