How to reduce read-ahead caching ?

bugger1

Hi. Is there a way to tell utorrent or windows(if it's windows doing it!) to only read from the disk the amount of bytes it needs to send upstream, while seeding, instead of read-ahead more than it needs ?! For example, I can have 3.7 MiB/sec constant(!) upload globally, and yet hwinfo64 shows me that the disk reading is 10 times as much to over 30 MiB/sec constantly(!), so I can only assume this is because when utorrent wants to read a piece (or less) from the disk, possibly windows is actually reading(ahead) more than that and storing it in RAM/cache.

I have Superfetch windows service disabled. I'm using utorrent 3.5.5 beta build 45916 32 bit.

I have enable caching of disk reads checked in utorrent (but none of the suboptions though).

I personally think that's windows doing this but have no idea how to disable it. I've tried LargeSystemCache 0 and 1* in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management and also EnablePrefetcher in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters to 3* and 0, while EnableSuperfetch is 0*

* values used for the above-reported 10x disk reading.

A more specific example: I've only 1 torrent running and I'm uploading to only 6 peers (while also downloading from a bunch of seeders) and the total upload to those 6 is about 100 KiB/sec constant(one peer is at 86KiB/sec constant), yet hwinfo64 shows me about 21-26 MiB/sec reading from that disk where that torrent is! Windows 7's Resource Monitor also shows me about 24MiB/sec read from that volume/disk. That disk is used exclusively for that torrent, it's otherwise empty (and defrag is disabled, and there are no compression attributes on any files/dirs). EnablePrefetcher=0, EnableSuperfetch=0 and LargeSystemCache=0 were used this time. Unchecking "enable caching of disk reads" in utorrent doesn't seem to affect anything.

EDIT: without changing anything, now that the download finished (torrent completed downloading) the upload speed is higher to about 646KiB/sec constant and the disk read rate seems normal to 0.8MiB/sec). So, this only happens when downloading happens. How odd! The filesystem is ntfs normal quickformatted.

EDIT2: I guess what I failed to say with all of this is that windows(if not utorrent itself) reads more data from disk (10+ times more!) than utorrent uploads, constantly, but this is true only when downloading happens. (posted this in this Edit because I cannot make a new post today - limited by forum)

On 3/8/2021 at 3:53 AM, bugger1 said:

EDIT: without changing anything, now that the download finished (torrent completed downloading) the upload speed is higher to about 646KiB/sec constant and the disk read rate seems normal to 0.8MiB/sec). So, this only happens when downloading happens. How odd! The filesystem is ntfs normal quickformatted.

Downloading-hashing/allocating related?  I wouldn't worry much about this ...

Archived