PLEASE give us a native 64-bit app (or make a support statement on scalability)

Bacc

I have ~8200 torrents loaded, and uTorrent (both stable and beta versions) is crashing roughly every 10 minutes. Which of course makes it completely unusable because it won't even finish checking the incomplete downloads before it crashes again, let alone continuing the download.

My resume.dat is 158 MB. I do not know how big it is supposed to be, but 158 MB does not sound like an awful lot to me.

I am trying to load my resume.dat into 64-bit version of BEncode editor, just to see if there's anything obviously wrong there. And the app consumes 4,7 GB of RAM just to read this file. No wonder that poor 32-bit uTorrent is having hard times parsing it! (Even with LAA flag, which is not set by default, a 32-bit app can only address 4 GB of memory.)

Why cannot we just have a 64-bit version of uTorrent? Forcing people to use 32-bit apps in 2021 is crazy! I am already a paying uTorrent Pro customer, and I am even willing to pay a little extra for a 64-bit version. (Even though it's ridiculous.)

Or perhaps the developers need to come out from the shades and make a clear support statement. E.g. maybe uTorrent is only supposed to work well if you have less than XYZ torrents loaded. And anything more than that is formally not supported and at your own risk only. Then maybe people who want to load more torrents will stop complaining and will go look for other torrent apps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 12:25 AM, Anoid said:

there are lots of alternatives that are 64-bit, transmission, tribler which has a built-in VPN and more. Tixati is not well known but it's also a solid tool.

I tried installing Tribler, but my computer blocked it with various warnings and errors.   I have been using Qbittorrent 4.3.4.1 for about a week, and love it.   Take a look at these speeds with Qbittorrent.. it is FAST!   I have downloaded a 7.5 gb file in 6 minutes which is an average of 21mb / second.  It got as fast as 32mb / sec.

On 3/24/2021 at 12:25 AM, Anoid said:

On 3/12/2021 at 4:53 PM, Bacc said:

I have ~8200 torrents loaded, and uTorrent (both stable and beta versions) is crashing roughly every 10 minutes. Which of course makes it completely unusable because it won't even finish checking the incomplete downloads before it crashes again, let alone continuing the download.

My resume.dat is 158 MB. I do not know how big it is supposed to be, but 158 MB does not sound like an awful lot to me.

I am trying to load my resume.dat into 64-bit version of BEncode editor, just to see if there's anything obviously wrong there. And the app consumes 4,7 GB of RAM just to read this file. No wonder that poor 32-bit uTorrent is having hard times parsing it! (Even with LAA flag, which is not set by default, a 32-bit app can only address 4 GB of memory.)

Why cannot we just have a 64-bit version of uTorrent? Forcing people to use 32-bit apps in 2021 is crazy! I am already a paying uTorrent Pro customer, and I am even willing to pay a little extra for a 64-bit version. (Even though it's ridiculous.)

Or perhaps the developers need to come out from the shades and make a clear support statement. E.g. maybe uTorrent is only supposed to work well if you have less than XYZ torrents loaded. And anything more than that is formally not supported and at your own risk only. Then maybe people who want to load more torrents will stop complaining and will go look for other torrent apps.

I agree with almost all of what you said 100%.  I would disagree that 158mb is not a lot.  The entire Holy Bible is 3mb when converted to a ZIP file.   My resume.dat file is 31 mb.. which is STILL the equivalent of 10 bibles.  I have roughly 8000 torrents.  That comes out to about 4000 characters worth of information for EACH torrent!  That is clearly a problem.  There is no reason why a single torrent should be more than 100 bytes, which would result in a Resume.dat of 800k.. less than 1mb!  It could be.. that they have allocated far too large of a fixed size for each record in the DAT file.  In your case, each torrent is using roughly 20,000 characters worth of information.  But that gets back to the big problem.. it doesn't seem like anybody is listening! 

Archived