Utorrent locks up within minutes/bandwith

JosefR

I can't find a topic that fixes the problem.  Ever since the last 1 or 2 updates, this has been going on, was working great for years before.  Tried all the advice I can find (and understand) online, but everything is years old and probably not related.  Latest version, reinstalled numerous times.  I have an exception in my firewall and I'm using Avast, all same as previously.  I left the settings stock, except for the 50 I put on DL limit trying to stop the bleed on the bandwidth.  Once DL starts, within minutes, the program is not responding.

If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate if you simplify it since I don't understand a lot of what I'm reading here.

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

It's the latest version. This time it was 3.99G.  Is this a known issue? uTorrent doesn't like DL large files?  You're saying if I left it, it would eventually start responding again?  I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time I've DL a large file in the last decade.  Why did the issue only start 1 or 2 revisions ago?

I am saying that this should not happen, and there must be a reason. Could be insufficient space on disc , a corrupted settings and so on...

Yes, leaving it be for a minute to see what happens next, or set a default settings (or use mine @sig ) can just help to isolate.

Is the build # a secret?... ;)

@PiusX: Upload rate limit is irrelevant to the GUI being frozen.

There is a guide in my sig if you have "no idea". I suggest you update with your build #, the results using my flagged exe, and using default settings (or my recommended one).

Also, you can upload a dump to here when stuck (using task manager) , and the devs might  have a look.

Keep in mind that utorrent INTENTIONALLY throttle speed when using uTP. You can disable it in pref.->bittorrent->Enable bandwidth management[uTP]

BTW, how many torrents are on your main view list, and how many of them are active?

Demo (over-provisioning/burst with a 200Mbps connection)  :

eece131375649252.jpg

I have no idea because I've used the program for at least a decade with no changes to the stock numbers.  I've DL thousands of GBs of files at a time and never had an issue. Never had my bandwidth slowed down so much I can't watch a YT video.  Now, I ask about DL one single torrent that is 3.99GB (6 movies in a single torrent) and suddenly it's about filesize?  One torrent, that's how many were in my list.  It finally finished after restarting it 500 times.  I was also waiting to change numbers to see if I find out what the problem is.  So the problem is filesize even though I haven't DL anything over 4G.

I have no idea what uTP is if I'm using uTorrent.

Ok, I added the settings.dat file and learned what utP is. My normal DL speed is 180MBps, according to speedtest, so the internet says I don't need to disable utP.
I looked at your over-provisioning picture and again, have no idea of the significance.  I don't know what I'm supposed to get from the since there's no explanation and no reference to "provisioning" in your sig file info.  I'll DL a bunch of movies now and see if I still lock up.

So, as soon as I clicked on my first torrent, utorrent, which was already running in the background with one inactive file, opened like in the picture.  All grayed out.  I had to make it as small as I possibly could to see the X in the top right corner.  This massively large greyed out area feels like it has something to do with the advertising on the program.  Problem is, clicking the X doesn't kill whatever it is.  I have to shut the whole program down to make this go away.  This occurs frequently and I don't know if it has anything to do with the locking up of the program. Also, when I kill utorrent, there's ALWAYS something still running that I have to go to task manager to kill.  In this case, it was the gray area which stayed on my screen and when I ended utorrent, the gray area closed. It's probably my settings, huh?  

Untitled.jpg

On 4/22/2021 at 9:16 AM, rafi said:

What is the version & build #

"The build version is not a secret, it's the latest version, 45395. "

^ and, this is NOT the latest version. Use my LAA exe + settings both at the SAME path + a screenshot of the main screen after, and the build # you see.

Ah, I got the build number wrong, it's 45988.  That's one thing and I did answer it.  What are all the other things you said I didn't answer?  Lots of things.
BTW, it's working fine now, but I am not DL any large files, like the 3.99G one that was a problem.  Except for that big shadow thing (second instance running in the background) that took up two screens and I couldn't even see the x.

Archived