Totally confused

Purley14

I have been using utorrent for years and years but I know very little about it. About a week ago I couldn’t download anything and I got a message about not having the right.  I took the computer,  a very old slow computer running windows 10 in to my usual repair shop.  He told me that Microsoft was banning utorrent because people used it to steal from Microsoft. He said that mine quit working for this reason. He said he could fix it.  I got it back and it worked for one day and then I got the same issue. I took the computer back and said if it’s slow I could buy a laptop.  He said I would have the same problem. He went through and changed a zillion things and then he told me that my computer is so old and slow that I should seed while I downloaded but then I should right click on the torrent and click “stop” because I had been seeding torrents constantly for weeks and weeks and it was slowing my computer down too much. 

it does work - at least it has today -  all stuff about Microsoft banning utorrent on my computer sounded a bit fanciful.  Is there any truth in it?

Some older versions of Windows Defender used to detect utorrent as "malware". I believe this is no longer the case. Anyway, to avoid this - just exclude utorrent.exe or it's path in Windows Defender. Simple.

And if you do set an upload speed limit to about 80% of what you have with your ISP, you should be fine (or use my settings @ my sig as an example/base).

Thank you. I’m afraid my understanding of all this is very limited.  I don’t do lots of torrenting. I like to watch cycling stage races and it’s the only way to see them in Canada.   

I don’t even understand what you mean by “use my settings @ my sig”.  I just don’t think I should be changing anything I don’t understand. 

so if I buy a laptop from someone who understands torrenting, they can fix the settings so Windows Defender doesn’t delete utorrent.  Or perhaps the guy who told me that is why utorrent quit working wasn’t telling the truth?   He “fixed” it and it lasted one day. Then I had to lug a heavy desktop back again so he could fix it a second time. I could tell he wasn’t pleased. But neither was I.  

i subscribed to your help but as I said I know very little and I don’t mess with things I don’t understand. It usually makes things worse.   I don’t know what “subscribing” does.  Can I find it again without coming bsck to this post?

Replacing hardware will not help you. I can't help you any more if you do not know how to search for a file and replace it. Contact someone *else* who can help you with this *software* related task.

Archived