uTorrent On Second Hard Disk Question

MDPE

I don't want my main hard disk to be over worked so I was thinking of adding a small 80GB drive for downloading torrents.

If I were to add a second drive, install uTorrent on it and set the download directory to that drive would uTorrent exclusively use only the 80GB drive?

I just wanted to make sure the Windows drive wouldn't still be used for caching files or something like that as if it would be then there wouldn't be much point buying the second drive.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I have uttorrent on my system drive and then one old, cheap, 43% (current) fitness 80GB SATA for downloading and pagefile. I send bittorrent and all large web/ftp/other P2P/etc files to that. If the drive fails, big deal, only loose my latest downloads. As a general rule you should keep system, storage, and work drives physically seperate.

Thanks for the repies. Is it necessary to have your page file on the second drive in order to stop uTorrent using your main drive? Is that the Windows page file or does uTorrent have it's own page file?

Sorry if these questions are a bit stupid, but I just wanted to be sure the right drive will be used.

Thanks again for the help.

Right, I'll leave that where it is then. I went out and got a drive earlier today so I've put it in and the only thing I changed in uTorrent was the torrent download directories. Hopefully everything will be fine with that.

Thanks again for the help.

Spin, that's what I expected as well but everyone else says that's not the case. I did actually put uTorrent on the new drive as well just in case but I still got the feeling it would be using the system drive. I don't actually use torrents that much but next time I download something I'll have to open up the case and listen to see if the system drive is active.

i have the same thing going im downloading on a 300 gig portable drive which i assume is doing all the work and then move the completed files to my main drive ,,,,

you have to listen to the drive to see if its working ?

MDPE im retarded when it comes to all this stuff but once i tried to scan my disk or i tried to defrag it one of the two and it didnt let me cause files where being written on the disk...

I have this setup currently.

I have it setup like this.

OS drive: Windows/Utorrent on this drive.

Other drive Torrent files/Utorrent temp files/complete files.

You can set up temp dirs which use the second HD I simply named Torrent-Temp as a dir and setup utorrent to put temp files in there.

I then have the Completed files moved to another drive though you can have those files moved to your main drive, I have that dir named as Complete.

I simply look at the complete dir for when ever I'm looking at the completed torrents simple as that.

I also have the alocate HD space for the temp files, and I have the .*ut extsion turned on as well.

Archived