Is automatic seeding ever going to come?

Zarxrax

Utorrent still desperately needs an option to automatically start seeding a torrent when the number of seeders drops below a certain level. Almost a year ago, someone said that this feature was being "heavily worked on"... but at this point I can't help but wonder if its long been forgotten.

It's simply not possible (and indeed, even unreasonable) to keep watch on the torrents all day long and manually start seeding them when needed.

This seems like one of the most basic features imaginable, and it should be easy enough to implement (a couple of conditional statements and some options in the gui), so I really can't understand why this wouldn't be there yet.

I do greatly appreciate utorrent and the way it can pack so many features into such a small and efficient package. Oversights of basic and necessary functionality like this though, makes it seem almost as archaic and simple as the original bittorrent client. Contrasted against some of the numerous features added in recent versions, it just leaves me puzzled.

Well, ok that sounds kind of reasonable, but just because it wouldn't work on "poisoned" torrents doesn't seem like much of a reason to not include the basic functionality.

If I'm understanding what you are saying, you mean that there can be "bad" seeders on the torrent who aren't really seeding the real data, but because they are there, the torrent will always report at least one seed.

If that is indeed what you are talking about, i think its really an entirely different problem altogether. While there may be some torrents out there like that, there are many more torrents where there are no seeds, and the tracker is correctly reporting that there are no seeds. The fact that some other torrents out there might happen to be poisoned is irrelevent to these torrents.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater? This doesn't have to be rocket science, a "non-perfect" implementation is infinitely better than none at all.

a "non-perfect" implementation is infinitely better than none at all.

Right, untill a week later, when you'll be complaining about µTorrent starting to seed torrents that shouldn't be seeded and using up bandwidth that you want to reserve for other torrents and all :).

Indeed, I would rather have a fully working, well-tested feature than a half-baked, possibly buggy implementation.

@Zarxrax: At the very least, you can give seeding priority to torrents with 0 seeders, assuming the tracker reports the number properly, and you have the torrent waiting as a queued seed.

no... there are also the trackers that reports seeders when there are none, or the ones that reports thousands of peers when there are jus too few just to mention a couple things that could happen

Well, I've honestly never come across a torrent like that O.o I assume this must be a rather rare occurance.

Indeed, I would rather have a fully working, well-tested feature than a half-baked, possibly buggy implementation.

When I said it could be "non-perfect", I was not at all implying that it should be either half-baked or buggy.

What I am trying to get at is that the issue of automatic seeding, and the issue of the number of seeds and peers that are reported by the trackers, are TWO totally seperate problems. They are not one and the same.

Here's an analagy that I think is perfectly relevant: Let's say you start to write a new bittorrent client. What are the two most basic features it needs? Uploading and downloading, of course. But wait! There are some cases in which people can't download, because the traffic might be blocked by their provider. So to get around that, you need to implement encryption. Now, by what would seem to be the exact same logic, you would have to say "well, we cant implement downloading until we implement encryption, because there are just some cases where downloading wont work without encryption".

"Well, we just can't add automatic seeding, because there are just some cases where it wont work right without having a better method of tracking peers and seeds."

Does it make sense now?

It's probably been almost half a year since I've used the feature in other clients. However, the feature in other clients always worked great, and it wasn't based on some highly advanced peer tracking method--they just used the same value thats displayed in the gui--same value thats reported by the tracker.

Seeding is the most important part of bittorrent. Without seeding, bittorrent doesnt work. Most people seed while they are downloading, and perhaps a while after they finish downloading, but this is usually the time when seeding is LEAST needed. Seeding is most needed when the number of seeds drops down to 0, preventing anyone from downloading the file. For this, dedicated seeders are necessary in order to keep the swarm alive. Unfortunately, being a dedicated seeder isn't nearly as well supported by uTorrent as it needs to be. When you have 100 torrents to keep seeded, how to you do that effectively with uTorrent? You can do that effectively with almost any other major client, but not uTorrent.

@Ultima: Thank you for your suggestion, that may help out a tiny bit, though I'm afraid I may simply have to switch to another client soon.

Archived