Copyrighted material Q

pstephe1

I am new to this "torrent" thing and was downloading several TV shows I enjoy. I got an email from my ISP this AM about it. I quickly stopped downloading and deleted what I had downloaded.

I was hoping to catch the episode of the TV show I had missed, but I am not particularly fond of either going to jail or paying hefty fines. My question is this: Is there an easy way to determine copyrighted material?

Or is it safer to assume (yea assume is a bad thing) anything current on TV (here in the US) is basically copyrighted.

"Or is it safer to assume [...] anything [...] is [...] copyrighted."

As far as I (as a non american) know about your copyright law over there everything that is created is automaticly protected by your laws.

And then it depends how the creator of the artistic work license this to the public.

TV shows are normaly not licensed to be shared among others.

To be on the save side you should concentrate your sharing affords on copyrighted work where the creator welcomes the distribution by the public. This concept is called "creative commons" (CC).

You can find huge ammounts of CC work all over the net.

One place for example: http://www.legaltorrents.com/index.htm

More info about this CC thingy: http://creativecommons.org/

P.S. If the mail you got is really from your ISP and it has something to do with a subpoena because the nice mediasentry spys got you, then it would not help you at all to delete your copies NOW. Be prepared to pay those dinosaurs ~ 3500-4500 USD.

I don't know their actuall prizes they want for their failure to adopt to digital age business models at the moment ;)

Edit:

regarding post below:

Unfortunately those who makes the laws are not so wise like you dAbReAkA ;)

In the UK it's illegal to run equipment which can received TV broadcast material without owning a TV licence. Therefore, technically it's illegal to even watch the BBC broadband streams without owning a licence. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5081350.stm

It's also worth noting that just because something was broadcast on free-to-air TV, doesn't mean it's not covered by most countries' copyright laws. You may be allowed to listen to it when initially broadcast, but you don't have the rights to copy and distribute it yourself - normal copyright laws apply.

So technically, it's illegal (in most countries) to distribute material that was originally broadcast via TV or radio. Whether it would result in civil or criminal proceedings (or whether any TV/Radio company would bother prosecuting for such an infringement) is another matter though.

It's also worth bearing in mind that many TV shows (e.g., Friends) are available for purchase on DVD, which muddies the 'free-to-air is free' discussion even more.

How Battlestar Galactica killed Broadcast TV

http://www.mindjack.com/feature/piracy051305.html

[...]While you might assume the SciFi Channel saw a significant drop-off in viewership as a result of this piracy, it appears to have had the reverse effect: the series is so good that the few tens of thousands of people who watched downloaded versions told their friends to tune in on January 14th, and see for themselves. From its premiere, Battlestar Galactica has been the most popular program ever to air on the SciFi Channel, and its audiences have only grown throughout the first series. Piracy made it possible for "word-of-mouth" to spread about Battlestar Galactica[...]

and yet those dinosaurs at the MAFIAA™-headquarters don't get it (or don't want to get it, because p2p makes most of them obsolete)!

Odd you should mention it was Battlestar Galactica. That is what I wanted to watch.

After getting the emails - all the files are deleted for sake of not being thrown in jail or fined.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<my ISP> Legal Response Center

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Title: Battlestar Galactica (TV)

Infringement Source: BitTorrent

Initial Infringement Timestamp: 1 Aug 2006 16:31:54 GMT Recent Infringment Timestamp: 1 Aug 2006 16:31:54 GMT Infringer Username:

Infringing Filename: Battlestar.Galactica.1x06.ws.dvdrip.xvid-sfm_TMindTV.avi/Battlestar.Galactica.1x06.ws.dvdrip.xvid-sfm_TMindTV.avi

Infringing Filesize: 366997504

THAT was not so smart now to admit your guilt here publicly :(

Edit:

Determination its not the ISP that uses this kind of words. its the automated process from this MedaSentry and Co. assholes that spit out these mails to the ISP's automaticly.

Unfortunately our "friend" has admitted his guilt already, otherwise i would have pointed him to shawn hogans blog. The MPAA offered him first 2500 then 3500 to settle without a trial and as they got it that he is a millionaire that is willing and able to fight them in a court of law the last word was 500 bugs what he refused.

(but he did not admit his guilt)

no matter just for fun, while we are now in Chat section here the article link in wired

http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/start.html?pg=3

come on guy!

No risk no fun.

download like hell, and let them sue you. till today there is NO case in US jurisdiction that has really gone to trial, the BT technology with its uploading while downloading concept to defferent others different tiny parts is yet not tested in a court of law as illegal also because those that were accused have settled!

Even those poor guys that have not done anything unlawfull but settled with this extortion gangsters because they don't have the money to defend themself in a court of law.

http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/

Archived