Does utorrent have a "passive mode" like FTP programs do?

derii

I have disabled Windows firewall and removed the firewall from my router, but my current ISP (Verizon DSL) appears to be firewalling me as well. On utorrent I can get max speeds of only 40 kB/s up and 40 kB/s down.

When I use my FTP program to download, I can get speeds of up to 120 kB/s. It uses passive mode.

I don't understand what passive mode is, but would it be feasible to add it as a feature of utorrent? I hate having my upload speed limited to 40 kB/s.

On FTP your client opens a control connection to the server, and issues the commands over that connection. To start the actual file transfer the client opens another connection (data connection). Normally the clients starts listening on a local port and the server initiates the data connection to the client. In passive mode the client initiates the data connection as well, so there is no need to listen on the local port and to be able to accept a connection on it.

On bittorent the closest thing to 'passive' mode is running firewalled, this could only LOWER your speed, often lower it a lot.

Thanks for pointing that out, Firon; I'm glad to know Verizon doesn't firewall. I did forward my ports correctly, but you're right that it's the router that's messing me up. I just read your sticky on Linksys routers: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3456

I'll update its firmware.

Edit: The firmware update fixed the router. Thanks for posting the sticky.

Archived