I Know..everyone Asks This But I Really Need Help!!

Nemesys

My download speed is 16kbps/s and it wont get any higher, Ive used the troubleshooter guide in the site, but nothing worked. Is there a way I can find out if my speed is slowed down by something on my computer? I have closed all my firewalls, and done all the speed tests and they all say my speed is roughly 134.72 kbps and then in brackets it says 16.78 kbps. I believe this is an abnormally slow speed, correct me if im wrong. I have cable and myfriend has the same but his dl speed is like 100-200 kbps. Thx in advance.

"and then in brackets it says"

Are you seeing that in utorrent at the bottom? That means you capped your download to that speed. Right-click right there and make sure it is set to unlimited (or whatever cap you prefer).

is it kbps or is it kBs

speed test ive found usually give results in kbps and µtorrent might be displaying kBswhen u say "my speed is roughly 134.72 kbps and then in brackets it says 16.78 kbps"

the speed test is showing you 2 numbers 134 kbps which is roughly 16 kBs so your right on target ....

my friends average speed is anywhere from 100-200 kb/s, so how is it that I cant get my speed up to that? Could it be a virus or something(recently had norton expire but have other removal programs). Plus I did everything in the setup guide.

also sorry bout the misunderstanding with the kbps's. Heres what it says in the speed test I take. 136.80 kbps then in brackets under it says 17.1 KBps. So are you guys saying that speed is what a cable user is suppose to have? Also I dont have the status ok message at the bottom of utorrent, I have a triangle with a "!" in the middle. It means something bad I assume. Also I dont have a router. And when I say I can only get my speed up to 17 KBps, thats with the most highly seeded files such as Superman Returns, which took me almost 5 days to download. And the file was 1.5 g. Ive closed all the firewalls I know of on my computer, but I still have the triangular symbol of death at the bottom of utorrent.

If other programs were using the internet while you were running the speed tests, then your speed test results may be much lower than they really are. (An example of this is viruses or worms...)

You have to run the speed tests while doing basically nothing else.

You might also need to run TCP Optimizer from www.speedguide.net to get better results.

@Nemesys: There's a difference between kbps and KiB/s. You're not communicating it clearly with us, so we don't know what you're talking about. If your rated download speed is 136kbps, then your maximum download speed should be around 16KiB/s. Since you say you can go above that with regular downloads, then the speed tests are wrong. Do you have anything else running/downloading when you're testing?

No I dont have anything else running, I followed the instructions thast were given and gave you guys the results word for word, Cap by cap, kbps and KBps are different things I assume because thats the terms the results were given in. And these were the average results I got from various different speed testing sites.

In utorrent when I download something, it says under download in exact words and caps inclused: 16 kB/s , now that is for download speed and that is the max speed it goes roughly(roughly meaning it may make 16.2 kB/s occasionaly) my friends is 100-200 kB/s under download speed. We both have cable the same type because we use it over xbox live. Rogers cable. Anyways I was able to get the status green at the bottom of uttorent, but the speed is still slow. Anyways getting the green status was a big step for me and to be honest I dont know how I got it green, but its green!! lol My speed is still slow as mollases, what can I do to optimize my speed?

Oh. It's Rogers. Rogers has a history of throttling BitTorrent. Hard. Try enabling Protocol Encryption, or forcing Protocol Encryption and disabling legacy incoming connections. If neither mehtod helps, there's really nothing you can do. Nowadays, Rogers just throttles anything it doesn't recognize, and even encrypted connections counts as such.

Also I ran the slackware torrent but it still didnt breach the 16 kB/s area. Even after running it for 20 minutes. Just though Id add that, and my friend has cable but he has a router as well, so this is starting to make sense maybe.

Protocol Encryption can be found in the BitTorrent section of the Preferences. And the Slackware torrent just proves it. Slackware is normally fast, and WILL max out most people's connections, unless there's some kind of interference. In your case, you set everything up properly, so the only interference has to come from outside -- your ISP.

You talking about your friend but,

Are you in the same house, Building how far he is from your house. (there could be a cable wire problem in your area).

Are you using the same computer setup as him. Same router, modem, computer system. a hardware can give you a problem. Is your cable goes to your modem or first goes tru spliters, and so on.............

and did you check a cable speed in your area.

Try this link to test your cable and then take it to your friend and let him test it.

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

One more thing While running the test be sure there is nothing downloading or uploading or using a broadband on your system .

my friend has sympatico wheres I have rogers high speed cable, So you guys are saying that Rogers users have problems using utorrent??? My download speed will not go past the 17 mark in utorrent, but my friends goes like freikin 200, and he downloaded [ specifics removed ] in 4 hours where it took me a day and a bit. We were downloading the same torrent because I walked him through how to use the program.

Did you at least tryed to test your cable speed?

Just like I say it above. Or you just keep saying about this problem. You have check what you have and maybe there is the problem and not in the program it self.

Like I sayed the problem could be in HARDWARE or BAD CONNECTION.

Archived