API for uTorrent

cdonges

I can't see anything about this in the FAQ:

I have heard there is an API for uTorrent so it can be controlled from another program but that you need to contact uTorrent's creator for permission?

Does anyone know about this API or the email address I need to contact? Is there any cost to using the API?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I coded a simple Web UI wrapper in c#. It reads the JSON data to display the list of torrents and sends simple querystings to Stop/Start and Remove...etc. It's prettry fragile and if anything changes in the Web UI I'm sure its gonna break. Let me know if anyone wants a copy. Wish I could find some documentation on how to communicate with the Web UI!

P.S. I'm pretty sure there is a uTorrent api because it's used in the software described in this blog without the WebUI:

http://www.intellectualhedonism.com/2006/03/25/PwopcatcherAlpha.aspx

I sent an email asking how his program talked to uTorrent and he replied:

"It was a private API that I got specific permission to use from the author."

Maybe he was confused but from the screenshots it seems pretty tight with uTorrent.

http://www.intellectualhedonism.com/content/binary/PwopCatcher_20_286_29.png

Just found it interesting but don't think it matters if there is (or is not) a private api. It's not like I'm gonna get a copy:)

For one thing, it looks like a .torrent file download status, which is unrelated to µTorrent. As for that MP3 being downloaded, I can only speculate, but my guess is that its downloading the MP3 from the RSS feed that it's parsing.

Also, it's not that difficult to read listviews from an application using an external application. If you need further proof, check out SysExporter. Also, anyone can create a script that reads listviews using AutoIt, no private APIs required, so it's not impossible, even without ludde's cooperation.

Archived