How does uTorrent perform under heavy load?

nivek98

Before considering switching to uTorrent, I wanted to hear some oppinions on how well it scales for more high-performance situations. I've been running Azureus for as long as I can remember and typically have between 30 and 40 torrents queued up seeding, with the seed priority system setup to seed 6 at a time on a timed rotation, with priority on torrents with few seeds and alot of peers.

I am trying to find out if a setup similar to this is going to be possible with uTorrent, so that I can get rid of Azureus and finally rid myself of a major resource hog. Azureus is currently using just under 200MB of RAM, and the Interface is very lagged with all the torrents queued up like they are.

What do you all think, as users of uTorrent?

-Nivek98

Alright, I figured that much. What about seeding priority. I don't want all the torrents active at once, seeding at less than 1kB/s, which would be what would happen if i didn't use the priority-based queuing in Azureus. I want my bandwidth going to the ones that need it most. Is that possible with uTorrent?

-Nivek98

µTorrent currently lacks the ability to choose which torrents NEEDS the most seeding. It will try to seed them equally, till your seeding limits are met, then it will either throttle their speeds back or stop them as you selected.

But you currently can queue up 20 finished torrents to seed and tell µTorrent to only seed 6 at a time and they'll all run till you reach the desired ratio. You can even manually set the ratios for each upload so some continue running for longer/shorter than others.

Ludde is working on "smart" seeding behavior, but such programming is slow in coming due to implimenting all the other features (UDP NAT transversal for instance).

Hmm... uTorrent has a manual priority system doesn't it? Will a torrent that is seeding with higher priority, be given special treatment over one with a lower priority? If so, I can probably manage with that until something better is available.

The problem is the torrents I seed range from ones where I am the only or one of just a few seeders, to once with a good deal more seeds, but only during parts of the day, to a few that have lots of seeds all the time. I don't want my client constantly seeding to those torrents that have a few hundred seeds and leaving the ones with no seeds out of luck.

-Nivek98

Glad to see it's at least planned.

When I've got some free time I'll give uTorrent a dowload and see if it will be a suitable replacement.

Any more suggestions that might be useful are still welcome though.

Thanks for all your help.

-Nivek98

Archived