Move partially downloaded files to other computer and continue download process over there?

pstein

Assume I started some bigger (> 1 GB) torrent downloads on computer A with utorrent installation on computer A. Unfortunately the seeds appear only temporarily once in a while.

So the downloads will last possibly for a couple of weeks.

I consider to move the partially download files and downloading *.torrent files to another computer B.

And to use utorrent installation on computer B to continue the download process.

However this does not work. After moving the files and starting utorrent on B the already downloaded chunks are NOT recognized.

Even when I copy the whole utorrent installation folder fom computerA to computer B and start utorrent B it does not work.

Whats wrong?

Ok, the directory path to "downloading" and "downloading torrents" (sub)directories are different between computer A and B .

But this shouldn't matter.

How do I tell utorrent B otherwise to use existing download stuff and continue download on another computer?

Peter

Edited by pstein

That can't happen nor be done. Moving files during download will cause CRC check errors and will break the torrent download. You can't split a torrent download. The torrent saved has the preference of where it was being saved first moving will break this. Just because one has utorrent installed doesn't mean it's saves or does the same process. Each computer has it's own profile saved in utorrent when it starts and changing that will result in starting over and broken torrents will not work. So unless A matches B down to the bytes it will not work aka Cloned computer. Any changes no matter how small will affect the torrents.

This IS possible in two ways:

1. if you take care that all  absolute files paths are EXACTLY the same (including the drive letter). Shortcut from the new to the old to sub-directory (including the Drive)  can be used for that.

or

2. You move download location and force-recheck each and every torrent in it's new location

On 11/1/2021 at 5:48 PM, rafi said:

This IS possible in two ways:

2. You move download location and force-recheck each and every torrent in it's new location

How do I force recheck?

Can I force re-check for all existing torrents at once or only one by one?

Do I have to move existing *.torrent files and already downloaded files chunks to new download folders before (recheck)?

>How do I force recheck?

Right-click->force-recheck on torrent(s)

>Can I force re-check for all existing torrents at once or only one by one?

Yes. It will take a lot of time.

>Do I have to move existing *.torrent files and already downloaded files chunks to new download folders before (recheck)?

Yes.

Again, it can be quicker  if you just create an exact replica of your old download and torrent paths.

https://www.computerhope.com/substhlp.htm