Organizing Downloads

robojo

I download a lot of movies, and when one is finished downloading, I copy it to my media server. I have uTorrent move the finished downloads to a folder called 'finished', so I can at least see which ones are done downloading, but the problem is that the files need to remain there until they are finished seeding, so I can't tell which ones have been copied to my server, and which are newly finished downloading. With my previous client, I'd delete the torrent file from the 'finished' directory after making a copy of the download, that way I'd just look for new torrent files to tell what files hadn't been copied yet. I tried that with uTorrent, but it seems that the client didn't seed the downloads that I deleted the torrent files for. Soo, should deleting the torrent files for a seed matter? Anyone have a better method of accomplishing my goals?

Hi

You need to keep the torrent for seeding,it makes sense if you think about it, it has the tracker information in it and all the other magic stuff... :oops:

The other client must have made another copy of the torrent and used that, so once you had finished downloading and deleted the old one, it was none the wiser.

I dont really understand what you mean about not knowing what has finished, it will show a green arrow for uploading and a blue arrow for downloading, is that not enough ?

You could have 2 folders, download all torrent files into that, and move a torrent at a time to a download folder, then start downloading from the torrent in that folder, then you would know that all torrents outside that folder had not started yet....if that makes sense.... ;)

:D

For now, I set the prefs to move the .torrent file to the 'finished' directory with the download. In the explorer, I turned on the 'Attrib' column, and every time I backup a download, I make the .torrent file 'read only', which adds an R to the attrib column. That way I can tell which downloads have already been copied. Perhaps the interface could have 'labels' that users apply to their list items (maybe changes text color of that row, or background color). That could help my goal, and I'm sure others have organizational needs that it could meet as well. I'll suggest it in the UI section.

Archived