uTorrent flagged as malware by Windows 10

p2pDude

Hi, I've searched around for this issue and not found any suitable solutions.  My knowledge on security is lacking and I'm hesitant at moving forward.

I was using utorrent for a good while.  I had the '...sharing data with partners...' msg appear when I opened up uTorrent to download/share.  However, I just clicked off this and the program seemed to work normally.  So I ignored this message.

Anyway, it seems Microsoft Defender Antivirus flags 'PUATorrent:Win32/uTorrent' and won't let me proceed from there.

I believe I have to make an exception the firewall for this instance of uTorrent.  Is this a good idea?  Am I opening 'an unlocked door' to my computer by making this exception?  I thought uTorrent has security within the program to protect against worms or malware etc.  

Please advise, thanks.

OK, I installed the latest version of uTorrent (3.55).  It seems to have installed correctly but is showing strange behaviour. 

I keep deleting torrents from the download section of the UI but they keep coming back when I restart.(edit, they're now gone but it took several restarts.  The old files seemed to delete after I downloaded a new file)

Download speeds for files is variable.

Like in the previous version I had, I get the strange advertising: 

image.thumb.png.74ddfbfecf07d96b5522d207ee5c45e4.png