Questions on install and security

p2pDude

Hi, I recently re-installed uTorrent in the hope of addressing this issue which seems to still be unresolved https://forum.utorrent.com/topic/114101-utorrent-flagged-as-malware-by-windows-10/

Anyway, uTorrent still functions though when I start it up, it usually crashes, then I have to 'end process' and restart whereafter it works OK with the ads still running.  I should also add that when I exit uTorrent, an instance is still left running in the 'Background Processes' which I have to 'end'.

Now, on my previous installation, I'd changed the downloads folder to D drive due to lack of space on C drive (new install defaults to C drive).  I still have hundreds of files on the D drive from previous uTorrent.  So, again I've changed the downloads folder location to D drive but all the previous files are not available for torrenting - I'm guessing the trackers were deleted due to uninstall?

Also, when I changed the Downloads destination, I just changed it to D drive which means that all the torrent files are just dumped on the D drive. (I suppose I should create a folder for them).  Anyway, my point is that I have lots of other folders and files on the D drive which I obviously don't want to share; to what extent is my security an issue when utorrent files/folders are sitting alongside personal stuff.

I suppose I could create some partitions on the D drive to deal with this.

Sorry, bit of a newb when it comes to security.  Thanks.

Sounds like you have  more annoying issues than worrying  about security... I think that as long as you do not enable Remote->utorrent remote access, you can feel safe. 

BTW, you can disable PUA in your Windows 10. Plus, always make a backup of all your settings files (*.dat) just in case you marked by mistake to delete them while uninstalling....

BTW, you can get the latest (smaller) Beta and just locate if anywhere you like *with* your old setings.dat and other *,dat, no need to install and uninstall.

1 hour ago, PiusX said:

What A/V are you using?

Sorry, what are you referring to?

Oh, presumably antivirus.  I'm just using Windows antivirus features.  I have Superantispyware installed but don't always have it running in the background.

Edited by p2pDude

Not enough horse power, so  not in my school... 

Just play with exclusions in your A/V and M$  "security", and you'll be fine.

Just don't take M$ too seriously when it comes to P2P... They have a vested interest... XD

Edited by rafi